Simple Passive Splitter / DC Blocker

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaMpLeGoD

hello all, I got two simple and silly questions...

1) I need to hook up 2 of my studio's converters outs to use as monitoring for my studio.
      I need this signal to be splitted in 3 to feed 3 separeted headphones amplifiers in 3 different points of the studio.

The question is: should I just connect the things straight forward? pin 1 to 3x pin1, pin 2 to 3x pin 2 and pin 3 to 3x pin 3?
    Or should I need to place some resistors between? I saw a bunch of schematics to split mic level with 470R resistors between the pins...

2) I got some Ribbon mics that I always affraid to send +48V by mistake... so I just want to build a DC blocker that doesn't mess with the audio quality of the mics, and protect them about my head over hills condition :/ ... Should I Just hook up two Caps between the pins 2 and 3 in and out do the job? which value?

Thanks a lot
Cheers

I usually split with Y-cords or the same thing in a box.

That's when they are *your* loads. When I had to feed live sound to "strangers" (artists with their own recorders, media feeds) I used a sturdy source and enough build-out resistance so that multiple feeds could be dead-shorted without hurting MY sound.

For the DC blocking you would need large caps in series, perhaps 100uf or so, oriented with the right polarity, one for pin 2 and one for pin 3, you would need to decide whether the sound change was worth it

A better way would be to disconnect 48V at the source, for example some mic pres have separate inputs just for ribbons.

Another option would be to use a transformer, perhaps better than using caps, but again you would need to decide if the sound change was acceptable.

Latest posts

Back