Simpson VU model ? to replace 1M in AM864 vari mu builds?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rompstomp89

Hey group DIYers,

Just got a pair of vintage simpson VU meters on ebay that were pulled from a Collins 212E console.  I have a pair of federal AM864s that just have 1M meters in them and were hoping to swap them out.  These meters are HUGE.  How would i go about finding the specs for them/seeing if theyll work?  I attached one with allagator clips and slowly brought it up on a variac and at 120V from the wall i was getting the needle move up only to the -15Db mark on the meter.  since i dont know the model number I cant find specs...
help would be great!

They would be actual VU meters.  It's a standard that is easily researched.  If you put 120AC from the wall into them they are probably now blown up.  You don't put 120 from the wall into any meter unless it says it's a 150+ VAC meter. 

emrr said:
They would be actual VU meters.  It's a standard that is easily researched.  If you put 120AC from the wall into them they are probably now blown up.  You don't put 120 from the wall into any meter unless it says it's a 150+ VAC meter.

Sorry, i should've clarified.  I had one of the fed builds running with the VU in circuit.  I would never plug one into the wall...

emrr said:

Figured it out. I took out the 220R and replaced it with an 820R and it did the trick

Back