SLL-clone: switches BBM or MBB ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

Hello,

Finally getting parts together for the SSL-comp.

Just wondering if it matters if the Lorlin-switches for ratio, attack & release are Break Before Make (BBM) or Make Before Break (MBB).

Only influence I could imagine is that eventual spikes at switch-changes are different, but then again, these will likely be too short to notice or just never make it to the VCA's themselves.

Thanks,

Peter

FWIW: http://www.lorlin.co.uk/a.htm

(BTW, I've been looking in the SLL-META-thread if it had already been mentioned & where this question would fit best - sorry if I missed something)[

I think it's Break Before Make... for example, if you were at 2:1, then switched to 4:1, I think you'd want to break the connection to 2:1 before making a connection to 4:1. I used the BBM in my clone, but you might want to hear back from some of the experts around here just to be sure.

Thanks Greg,

OK, you're using BBM and have likely no obvious jumps when changing settings - so BBM will at least be fine.

I'm buying those switches today so good info, thanks again,

Peter

Aaahh. That explains it.
Everytime I switch between different ratio values I see my meter move.
I must have used MBB Lorlin's I suppose...

When I turn the Lorlin really slow, I can make the meter stay at the 3 db compression position.

from Radiance:

When I turn the Lorlin really slow, I can make the meter stay at the 3 db compression position.

I see, so putting the switch 'in-between' settings (sounds like the 3-pos. on a Strat... :wink: ) kind of freezes the meter-indication ?

But as long as there are no pops in the audio I'm fine.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back