Sm Pro Audio PR8E?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="aortizjr"]Wow there is some great info in here.

Anyway I have the PR8, the mods have really opened it up. Its biggest weakness though is that the "Gain" control is not a gain control at all.. but an Output level.

Does the PR8E still have this issue? Or is the "Gain" control really a gain control.

Thanks![/quote]

Hearing these clips has re-sparked my interest and the need for some more pres.

Anyway from looking at the clips those pots are dual ganged. Which means they must be a gain of some kind I would think. Without a schematic it is still hard to tell what is going on with it for sure. But that would definitely be an improvement over the PR8.

There are those of us still reading these threads.

I just received my second PR8E, this one fom B&H Video for $149 new, and should receive my shipment of LM4562NA chips from Avnet direct early next week. They sell them for $2.62.

I have a stock PR8E in my DAW rack that has recorded quite a number of excellent classical gigs. Having read these threads, I can only imagine the improvement the $45 of chips will make. I'll report back after installing them.

www.MikesMobileMics.com

Hey all - another new guy showing up...

I have been considering picking up at least one EP84 for starting out a home studio, and would like to hear more on how the mods are going with this family of pres.  So, please, keep up this thread so I can come up with ideas as I start to play with it.

To take this a step further - it looks as if the EP84 has two 4580s in the input section (based on info from "the19thbear") whereas the pr8e comes stock with a single 4558 in the input section.  Based on the type of sound I want (and the information I have seen on this thread), it looks as if I would want to mod the 4580s with LM4562s.  However, I was a bit discouraged that there didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference (again, based on the reports of the19thbear) changing out the 4580s with 5532s.

Please advise if I missed something, as I am definitely not an EE (actually an ME with ears, a soldering iron, and a bunch of guys willing to let me record them for practice!)

Thanks!

I just ordered a PR8E from on-line store and i'm getting ready to mod it like crazy.

Does anybody have a schematic from a PR8E? Can you post it or send it to me?

Can you guys make a summary of the mods that work on the PR8E?
Right now i'm thinking about changing the input caps for something bigger like 100uf and changing the opamps to 5532's. Can i cut out "c13" and "c14" out without risk of putting the 5532 in oscillation?

thanks.

What would be the benefit by removing the three 680p caps like in the BLA mod? And what's up with the paralleled transistors(BLA)? Since the pr8e now has a real gain control shouldn't it have a bigger gain pot capacitor (original is 470uf)? will not the lm6172 oscillate with all ceramics removed?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.jpg

Hey, for anybody still reading this thread, I've done a trace and have posted a schematic (asked for many times in this thread), and I've started a new topic at http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=49009.0

Cheers,
Scott

For any of you guys who have modded the PR8E I have a question about chassis grounding.  When I received my used unit off ebay I noticed it has a grounding screw in the chassis but to my dismay it isn't connected to anything.  No wire to the power plug or anything.  The power plug does have a middle prong free, although the power supply is only a two prong supply so I don't know if that even matters?  Basically I'm trying to avoid being electrocuted and wondered if I should use a hook up wire from the middle prong to the grounding screw?

Attachments

• IMG_6229.jpg
    IMG_6229.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 11
The middle contact is probably a break contact, to (for example) switch off battery power when an external power supply is connected.
(Of course battery power isn't used here, but it is a standard connector.)

Thanks RuudNL!  I did test the unit without receiving any electrical shocks, so I suppose all is well so long as the pcb or components don't touch the chassis . 

Latest posts

Back