SM Pro PR8 preamps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry

Can anyone tell me the differences between the SM Pro PR8 units please? Which one is worth buying for the mod? Any info would great thanks.

There are 3 models I believe. Which sounds the best?

PR8

PR8E

PR8 MK2 (2U with adat optional)

The PR8E is the newest one. Just released at NAMM this past January. It looks the best out of all 3 models....

I would love to get one and mod the hell out of it.

also looking forward to seeing the PM8 a dual stereo output and duall set of 8 channel input summing box. would love to see what they did.. circuit design wise

We did a long thread on this with the schemo and analysis and mods over in the Lab. Go forth and search!

I know he incorporated my mods to the PR8 before it became PR8E and I think the only changes from PR8 to PR8E were the combo jacks that have a pad on the 1/4 inch ins and the phase reverse on the rear. No room on the FP as he explained to me.

PR8mk2 is a slightly different circuit and has to be noisier because it has two more opamps in the path. I have not had my hands on one to confirm their schematic.

My conclusion was that they were a nice platform for mods. Some were supposedly going to do all sorts of hotrodding to them but i have not heard any results so far.

HTH!
Charlie

Thanks, I read the PR8 thread b4(thx for the heads up), but they are selling PR8E model here in Aus for dirt cheap, and I didn't want buy one to find out it is a completely different beast. Still doesn't answer my question entirely does it? Black Lion Audio are selling PR8 kits too. Likening it to SSL, Amek etc. But surely after the mods its not going to be up there with an SSL? Right?

IMHO the only things interesting about that pre is the price and the box. I don't think it's wise to expect anything esotheric about the sound quality, even when modded.

For comparison: The preamps on my old Behringer MX8000 are equipped with 2SB737 tranistors (super low Rbb for minimal EIN) and JRC4580 opamps. Compared to the SM Pro box, that's almost a different league, yet nobody would claim those Behringer preamps to be anything extraordinay (soundwise, they are very low noise, though).

As is the SM Pro box is okay for the price, with mods you can turn it into something pretty usable. If you want something really good, I suppose you better gut it and use the box only.

>>>with mods you can turn it into something pretty usable.

Sure and that's the point, to get something usable. Though I wouldn't say that you *can't* use it in its stock form now.

Peace!

Latest posts

Back