SM58 Grill will not come off!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

40 year old Shure SM58 in dire need of cleaning but I cant get the ball screen off. Ive Tried 2 opposing wrenches and still cannot get the screen to budge. I am a retired carpenter and a guitar player who plays 3-4 hour acoustic guitar gigs. I have strong hands!!!!
Im contemplating a small amount of WD40 but am willing to try any other suggestions that forum members might have. I cant be the first one to have this happen. thx in advance for any ideas.
maybe saturate screen with lysol spray ?

You're definitely not the first one that's happened to! I've never seen one stuck quite that badly before, although I once had to remove the gunky old headbasket from a wireless Sennheiser e835 that was viciously tenacious and required multiple applications of WD-40. The dissimilar metals of the grille (steel) and body (aluminum) corrode over time. I've seen several of those wireless e835 units that did it, but only a couple of stuck SM58s out of the many dozens I've dealt with. But, I don't think any of them were 40 years old, either...

Because the mic body's threads are aluminum, dabbing a few drops of WD-40 around the junction of the grille and body is the ticket. In my many years as a machinist, I've yet to find anything that's a better machining lubricant for aluminum, and it'll also loosen gunked/corroded aluminum threads just as well.

But, another problem now possibly exists: if the pressure of using the wrenches distorted and egg-shaped the perfectly round grille opening, its steel threads will bite into the body's soft aluminum threads and make it even more difficult to remove, possibly damaging them in the process. Always try the WD-40 method first, by dropping it directly onto the area, letting it soak for maybe 30 minutes, then repeating several times.

Years ago (after that one particularly difficult Sennheiser), I got into the habit of touching a WD-40 pen to the threads when I replace or reinstall a grille on a handheld mic, as insurance against it getting stuck. Seems to work great.

As for the internal foam, I definitely wouldn't spray anything on it. As old as it is, it's probably disintegrated anyway. SM58 windscreens are dirt-cheap and plentiful, just replace it.

Last edited:
You're definitely not the first one that's happened to! I've never seen one stuck quite that badly before, although I once had to remove the gunky old headbasket from a wireless Sennheiser e835 that was viciously tenacious and required multiple applications of WD-40. The dissimilar metals of the grille (steel) and body (aluminum) corrode over time. I've seen several of those wireless e835 units that did it, but only a couple of stuck SM58s out of the many dozens I've dealt with. But, I don't think any of them were 40 years old, either...

Because the mic body's threads are aluminum, dabbing a few drops of WD-40 around the junction of the grille and body is the ticket. In my many years as a machinist, I've yet to find anything that's a better machining lubricant for aluminum, and it'll also loosen gunked/corroded aluminum threads just as well.

But, another problem now possibly exists: if the pressure of using the wrenches distorted and egg-shaped the perfectly round grille opening, its steel threads will bite into the body's soft aluminum threads and make it even more difficult to remove, possibly damaging them in the process. Always try the WD-40 method first, by dropping it directly onto the area, letting it soak for maybe 30 minutes, then repeating several times.

Years ago (after that one particularly difficult Sennheiser), I got into the habit of touching a WD-40 pen to the threads when I replace or reinstall a grille on a handheld mic, as insurance against it getting stuck. Seems to work great.
Will definitely give it a try. These have been sitting in a friends garage for the past 40 years. Beach town ( the salt air wreaks havoc on all types of metals and finishes). Thx

These have been sitting in a friends garage for the past 40 years.

Beach town

( the salt air wreaks havoc on all types of metals and finishes).

If the Grill Ball is stuck because of all those elements and age then the capsule is not any good either,
those elements will also damage the capsule function for good

It might output sound, but it will probably sound much worse than a new 58

Will definitely give it a try. These have been sitting in a friends garage for the past 40 years. Beach town ( the salt air wreaks havoc on all types of metals and finishes). Thx
Good chance your right. I haven’t had access to my PA this week and tested it with 2 xlr to 1/4” cables and got no signal. I don’t know that either of the cables are working for sure so I’m holding out hope. Have a gig tonight and I will test them a known working cable.🤞🏼

Biggest diff I found WD vs Kroil, is in cases where both work, Kroil lasts way, way longer. WD needs re-application much more frequently.

Latest posts

Back