Small Diaphragm Mic Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srich12

I'm a musician and a videographer, so I'd like to own a pair of ultra high-end SDC mics (for portability on the video side of things; I usually favor omni over cardioid).

I noticed recently that both Neumann and Gefell still sell some of their classic capsules:

Neumann KK84/83 (cardioid/omni)
Gefell M94/93 (cardioid/omni)

Does anyone out there have any ideas about modifying one of the myriad new Chinese SDC preamp bodies (the ones with interchangeable capsules?) for use with either of these classic capsules?
The capsules are expensive - but a cheap mic body might make such a venture worthwhile, especially in light of the rising prices of classic mic bodies...

Thanks for any musings!!!

The KK84 comes without vents... Cheapest way to get those original KM84 vents and capsule thread would be cannibalising a KV18/58 capsule extension, those can be found for cheap @ebay.
I read somewhere that an old Telefunken TC600 electret mic would give you a housing for a KK83 because the thread would fit, but i don't know if that is true. 

I think you might find a lot of good SD capsules around. In the DIY forum from a french audio site, someone made his own bodies/circuit from scratch to match oktava caps. And someone else is doing a SDC mic inspired from old ELA M260 with new telefunken caps. They are both using thread tools to be sure to fit the caps' thread.

I also like AKG CK60-62 range of capsules, which are readily available.
I was using CK61, M94/M70, and Gefell MK221/201 with thread adapters on modded MXL603 body with excellent results.

In principle, you can make a thread adapter and use any capsules with any available body (you might need to adjust bias voltage, though).

Best, M

Is there anyplace one can get a thread adapter for a CK61 to mxl603 body?
I don't have the tools to make something like this.

dmp said:
Is there anyplace one can get a thread adapter for a CK61 to mxl603 body?
I don't have the tools to make something like this.

If there is enough interest we could make those (or any other adapters). Because of set up time to make only two pieces would be expensive.

Best, M

If you had a estimated cost for a certain quantity, I'd suggest a feeler in the black market.
I think this would be very cool, as it would enable small diaphragm DIY mics with a good capule, which there aren't many of currently.

Latest posts

Back