Smoother top for TSB-160/165

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

Apologies if this has already been posted about; others have commented on here and other forums that removal of the multi-hole faceplate on these capsules results in a much smoother HF response.

Rather than lathing them off (which I lack the tools to do), or sending them to a machinist (which I don't think the capsules are quite good enough to warrent that expense), I found that simply carefully cutting them away with a razor saw works just fine.

Three cuts just outside three pairs of holes, then three tiny cuts between each of these, just inside the outer edge. This leaves the maximum amount of material to maintain structural integrity, while still removing most of the obstructing material.

Haven't noticed any negative effects.

The photo shows the TSB-160AO; the omni version, mounted in 1/2" copper pipe coupling + cap (needs a very effective shock mount). The omnis don't appear to be available retail from any vendor, but come with the Monoprice SC100s.

Indeed, the safest way to grip these 160s in a vise for the cutting, is to first wedge them into a copper pipe coupling. The couplings aren't made to terribly rigorous standards, so a little material may need to be sanded from inside the coupling for the capsule snug down inside. The 165 is too big to fit.

Attachments

• DSCN1092.JPG
    DSCN1092.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
IIRC the 165 is the capsule in the CAD E100S as well. Of course I wouldn't harvest capsules from that mic when the Monoprice is so cheap.

Also what's the reason for these plates? Is it intended be a resonator disk to increase the high end? Or is it just to protect the mics and functions like one because of the holes?

IIRC the 165 is the capsule in the CAD E100S as well. Of course I wouldn't harvest capsules from that mic when the Monoprice is so cheap.

Also what's the reason for these plates? Is it intended be a resonator disk to increase the high end? Or is it just to protect the mics and functions like one because of the holes?
. . . However, the capsule in the Monoprice is the 160, not the 165 (many say the 165 sounds better - I've never directly compared them). Because the 165 is a mm or so larger, it won't fit in a 1/2" copper fitting.

I've always assumed the purpose of the cover plates is both of those things - one does have to treat them a bit more gingerly after 'surgery', since the housing is just soft aluminum.

Last edited:
I don't have the gear to do that, like kingkorg (jealous).

ATM10a, ATM31a (and their predecessers and successors), etc. have very similar design: multihole plate with mesh underneath - I made the same mod to my 10a pair (w/impendance-balanced out), and they now give my Oktava '012 omnis a run for their money.

Last edited:

Looks like the capsule in the CAD E100S is the TSB-2555.

Attachments

• E100S_ad__59462.jpg
    E100S_ad__59462.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 8.19.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 8.19.28 PM.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 0
  • back.png
    back.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Personally, I've never understood the wide reverence for the 2555; always sounded light and crunchy to me. I think it needs close working for proximity effect to 'warm it up' - probably why it's popular with the VO crowd.

Judging by CAD's published graph, it appears they are not even EQ-ing it in the mic.

Personally, I've never understood the wide reverence for the 2555; always sounded light and crunchy to me. I think it needs close working for proximity effect to 'warm it up' - probably why it's popular with the VO crowd.

Judging by CAD's published graph, it appears they are not even EQ-ing it in the mic.
I think it's because they're easily available, cheap, large but small enough that there's no risk putting it into a BM-700 or 800 body (of course 34mm capsules fit but there's not a whole lot of extra room). I definitely think they're quite bright too, I just sold my iSK Pearls/BM-88s that used that capsule or something very similar (a bright capsule about 25mm or so, a bit bigger than MK-012 capsules), but that was more because they were regularly picking up EMI in my home studio.

Latest posts

Back