So how is the music scene in the town/city that you live in??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
Places that are near the beach will actually pay bands to play and do things like free food, free drink and free parking.

Guess we are being treated like royals here, for I never thought we would need to pay for parking on a club's soil. We always have free food, often in the better restaurants and free drinks (usually there's 24 bottles of beer and 24 bottles of cider, one big vodka, red bulls and maybe another 24 bottles of lemonade.. all in all 3-10 times more to drink than we three could ever do in one night). There are exceptions though and these feel shitty (ie. if there are only sandwiches for food (I feel like an ass now)). We've had our share of fuck up sound engineers and staff though, but you live and learn, and treating these things becomes easier.

Finland - rough 5 million people.
City : Tampere - rough 200,000 people, being the third biggest city here. Over 100 terraces on pubs/bars in this town. Sadly only a rough dozen night clubs to venture about, there used to be almost twice that in the 90'ies but people at 20'ies don't go out dancing that much anymore. Rock/metal is big in this country, past weekend had a metal/rock festival with over 20,000 visitors listening to bands like Duff McKagan's Loaded and Mötley Crüe. Hiphop/rnb is also big due to the mainstream, just like everywhere else. Not the best thing for us electronica artists to build a name and tour around but we've had a bit over 100 gigs in the past 3 years, so I guess we've done well.

yeah often heard you europeans tend to treat your local and non local musicians better.

Speaking of music for anyone interested my band will be rocking Venice beach this Friday...

pucho812 said:
yeah often heard you europeans tend to treat your local and non local musicians better.

Yes, I've been giggin around northen Europe for the last +15 years and have had mostly positive
experiences. Most places are friendly and offering free food, drinks and sometime accomodation.

Here in Berlin we have lot of clubs with bad economics and hobby/amateur musicians that are dumping the prices. Some of the clubs are now demanding payment for drinks and food and even "pay to play"!
It is not as bad as in US and London, yet...

Here (another  ;)) shameless plug for a local female artist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jaU5vjDzE

pucho812 said:
I live in L.A. the music scene here is full of bands that are all trying and often fall short. They either break up, are not nearly as good as they claim, or just in general are not interesting.

Have you heard of Intronaut? They're probably one of best bands IMO to come from the LA area in a very long time.

skipwave said:
Wow, she is something.

She sure is.  Lots of industry friends seem to be fans too so, fingers crossed for her.

skipwave said:
Perhaps on a similar tip (and especially if you are a Brooklyn-ite), check out my friend Shara: http://www.mybrightestdiamond.com/

The little featured video on the righthand of the page has the cutest little playing mistake followed by "I do that better!"  ;D

Great!  Thanks for the link.  I don't get to Brooklyn too often but if I do...  I'll also pop her in my search lists in case she makes it over here.

Thanks  :)

I'm lucky to live in the capital city Bucharest where there  are lots of things happening all the time.
There are lots of concerts all the time from local jazz, blues to rock bands (and of course classical music concerts).
There are lots of big name concerts every year like Massive Attack, J.M. Jarre, Rolling Stones, George Michael, Sting, Motorhead etc, etc.

Tomorrow I have tickets at KRAFTWERK. Woohooo. :D

chrissugar

chrissugar said:
I'm lucky to live in the capital city Bucharest where there  are lots of things happening all the time.
There are lots of concerts all the time from local jazz, blues to rock bands (and of course classical music concerts).
There are lots of big name concerts every year like Massive Attack, J.M. Jarre, Rolling Stones, George Michael, Sting, Motorhead etc, etc.

Tomorrow I have tickets at KRAFTWERK. Woohooo. :D

chrissugar

I hate you....  ;)

Mbira said:
I love Austin...

I don't so much anymore now that the yuppies have taken over.  Once billed as the "Live Music Capital of the World", Austin is now the  "Quiet Music Capital of the World".  The downtown area has become infested with over-priced condos occupied by selfish idiots who call the cops to complain about noise.  These rich jackasses even have so much influence on our corrupt & greedy shitty council that there is a noise ordinance limiting clubs to 85dB and restaurants to 70dB.  WTF is that?  Who the hell is stupid enough to move into the entertainment district of the Live Music Capital of the World looking for peace & quiet?  These people should be beaten with a stick, but bring a pillow to muffle their screams so as to not violate the noise ordinance.

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2009/06/12/noise_complaint_shuts_down_unp.html

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/austin.htm

The entire noise ordinance is written around sound reinforcement.  The only definition is for 'sound amplification device'.  The only reference to no sound reinforcement is article 10.5.2 (E)  which pertains to 'rock crushers'.  There's a little irony or a pun in there.  Oh and there's a typo wherein (E) is actually listed as (A).

I'm thinking 3:00AM protests with sheet metal and mini-grinders.  It is not an amplifier or a rock crusher.  Legal within the noise ordinance but I'd still probably get my ass thrown in jail for something else.  Austin Shitty Council is a bunch of money grubbing scum.  Completely short-sighted & all about making a buck now.

I live in a town of population 304 deep in the southern appalachians.

There is no music at all, anywhere, except at my studio. No people, no music!

I do get visitors though. I grew up in Orlando and moved here from Chicago. Both had pretty good music scenes. People come from those places to see me.

I guess the good thing is that you can do whatever you want. No building codes, sound ordinances, traffic, or anything. Spectacular scenery.

However Atlanta is 120 miles away. It's the nearest large city. I don't like it much though. Bad traffic.

Les
L M Watts Technology

leswatts said:
I live in a town of population 304 deep in the southern appalachians.

There is no music at all, anywhere, except at my studio. No people, no music!

I do get visitors though. I grew up in Orlando and moved here from Chicago. Both had pretty good music scenes. People come from those places to see me.

I guess the good thing is that you can do whatever you want. No building codes, sound ordinances, traffic, or anything. Spectacular scenery.

However Atlanta is 120 miles away. It's the nearest large city. I don't like it much though. Bad traffic.

Les
L M Watts Technology

What made you want to move out in the middle of nowhere from Chicago??  Is it because of the brutal winters?? Just wondering because Chicago is one of those cities I'd like to maybe relocate to one of these days.

What made you want to move out in the middle of nowhere from Chicago??  Is it because of the brutal winters?? Just wondering because Chicago is one of those cities I'd like to maybe relocate to one of these days.

I inherited a farm here. I was a corporate "think tank" research engineer in Chicago, but I wanted to start my own firm. So I sold my house and used the funds to build a facility. I still mostly do acoustics work for that same large corporation though.

Chicago is nice...you'd probably like it. I first went up there just out of university to be an audio development engineer at Shure, the microphone people.

I still go there a lot.

Les
L M Watts Technology

leswatts said:

I inherited a farm here. I was a corporate "think tank" research engineer in Chicago, but I wanted to start my own firm. So I sold my house and used the funds to build a facility. I still mostly do acoustics work for that same large corporation though.

Chicago is nice...you'd probably like it. I first went up there just out of university to be an audio development engineer at Shure, the microphone people.

I still go there a lot.

Les
L M Watts Technology

Thats really neat and btw how many years/decades did it take to become a research engineer?

Thats really neat and btw how many years/decades did it take to become a research engineer?

Well, I was at university 5 years. University of Florida. But as a student I had a research job there too after only the third year. I worked for NASA. BTW going from Florida to Chicago was a kick. It was 26 below zero the first winter I was there.

Les
L M Watts Technology

I think that Baltimore is actually legendary amongst musicians for having a crummy music scene, being someplace you MUST leave in order to get anywhere. There was a club called Hammerjacks in the 80s where  I saw (and talked to, they were so unaffected  and sweet to me) Robin Trower, Stevie Ray, Jake E. Lee (with Badlands), Slash (totally unlike you'ed expect him to be, just downright shy). But the club treated musicians and audiences alike as garbage. 

Kiira

kiira said:
I think that Baltimore is actually legendary amongst musicians for having a crummy music scene, being someplace you MUST leave in order to get anywhere.

Hey that sounds like S.Florida :eek:

Back