So many capsules.. Which one, why?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone ever use advanced audio capsules? read they were pelusio designed but made in china. speaking of pelusio what of the cek89? looking for nice caps on a college budget for my u87 builds

btw diy is a terrible habit on a college budget haha

micaddict said:
OK, so let's narrow it down to either M7 or K47 type.

M7
The older type of the two, with glued edges. The originals had PVC membranes. These get brittle in the long run, but are nevertheless preferred by quite a few. Typical choices would be:
-Vintage Neumann. Good chance it had or needs a re-skin. This can be done with Mylar. For a PVC re-skin, Siegfried Thiersch is the man. All-in-all, unless you get lucky, the vintage one will be above the budget, I'd say.
-Vintage or new Gefell ("eastern" Neumann). They still make 'em and with PVC to boot, but (if not in a new mic) likely only as a replacement/repair.
-Siegfried Thiersch (old Gefell employee) makes a very nice M7, both in Mylar (or similar material) and in PVC. Pricey, though.
-Dale M7. This one (no PVC) is within your budget. It gets good reviews, also on this forum.

K47
Neumanns M7 successor. Screwed at the edges. Typically with Mylar membranes. Choices, more or less in price order:
-Original Neumann, either vintage or new. The latter only as a replacement. Above the budget.
-Beesneez K7. Very popular lately, but expensive. Somewhat less expensive are his K47a/b/c. For info, phoning works best.
-MBHO/Haun. Another German manufacturer. Makes capsules for various microphone brands. Brauner and Horch come to mind. Very good quality and not quite as expensive as Neumann, from what I know. Don't know if they'll sell single ones, though.
-Peluso. Within the budget.
-Equinox. Within the budget. (Do you already have one? I didn't quite understand.)
-Microphone Parts. Chinese, like the latter. Less expensive, but still with good quality control and added individual frequency plots.
-WGT and Ningbo Tongxin. Inexpensive, especialy in bulk (see recent groupbuy thread). Quality is a whole lot better than the usual 32mm K67 joke that's in most Chinese mics (and that's virtually always used with the wrong circuit (not de-emphasized). But at this price, quality control might be a problem; the judges here are still out. A little too soon to say maybe, but overall these seem to be pretty good value.

As a rule, you get what you pay for. But as always, there'll be exceptions.

The wife needs the computer, so this is it for now.

Micaddict, thanks a lot for the rundown on the different capsules available in the market.

I'm curious on whats seems to be the general impression of the Peluso capsule and the Equinox capsule also.

I'm remember some year ago that Peluso capsules were used in a lot of  DIY projects, are they less trendy nowadays or not at the same level as other alternatives?

Thanks

:)

Update on the BeesNeez K7. There's a special offer on that one now.

Also, Ben and Veronica do an M7 as well.
Discounted, too.

As is their K6/K67.

I have used Q47D's in a pair of MK47's and a pair of original Dale's M7's in a pair of M7 mic's... I like them both (they sound great). I have a pair of Thiersch Mylar M7's but haven't put them in a mic yet. Those are earmarked for a new pair of M49's I am planning. The MK47's and M7's are great mic's with the mentioned capsules. I guess I could go and rent some U47's to compare but there is no doubt that these are world class with the mentioned capsules. Looking forward to the STS7's though :)

I would recommend to get the best you can afford (ie; original, gefell, sts, etc)... The mid-range (concerning price) capsules (q47d, dales, etc) will not disappoint and when I was making this decision I decided to support the guy's making DIY capsules around here since it was appropriate and I could always "upgrade" later if desired. I found there is no upgrade... Just make another mic and keep what you've got :)

I believe I read that Eric (tskguy) here may be making an M7 style these days too.

Cheers,
jb

Hey all,

For now I am only selling the mt k87 and k67 style capsules. I have been working on a m7 style as well, so far it sounds good but I am a bit unsure if it would be worth the effort. I am also for sure willing to skin the flea backplates that they have avalale as well, it would be much cheaper than their complete capsule even after I had my cost.
Here is a link. http://shop.flea-microphones.com/index.php?page=productDetail&category=Capsules&prNum=76
PM me f your interested.

Thanks,
Eric

Don't know if this is temporary or not, but most of the Beez Neez capsules are available at around $300 at the moment. Their M7 capsule is quite highly regarded by Klaus Heyne fwiw. Worth considering.

Don't know if this is temporary or not, but most of the Beez Neez capsules are available at around $300 at the moment.

Yep, that's the discount I meant in reply #28.  :) And $250 for the K6/67.

Their M7 capsule is quite highly regarded by Klaus Heyne fwiw. Worth considering.

I know Klaus was very fond of the K7 he tested. Is it possible you mean that one? Or has he tested Ben's M7 now, too? Could be; I haven't been reading on the REP forum for a while. If so, do you have a link. Seriously interested.  :p

Any capsules and/or manufacturers out there that could be added to the options already listed.
New or overlooked.
(My earlier replies were about M7/K47, but the thread evolved to something broader and more in line with the general question the topic title suggests.)

This is always a good place to start:
http://recordinghacks.com/capsules/

On this page you will find a catalog of all the large-diaphragm microphone capsules that are available for mods, repairs, or DIY microphone building.

I do miss the various BeesNeez capsules, for instance. And Eric's K67/87.
Matt, if you read this, will the page be updated?

BTW, in the meantime I received my Tim Campbell CT12 and BeesNeez K6. Both look like works of art.

Latest posts

Back