Soldering a rear defroster on a car.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxmonster

Ok so the little tab that makes the connection between the wire and the grid on the window has fallen off again.  I have resoldered it twice and this will be the 3rd time in about 4 years or so,  I was wondering what I can do to make the hold stronger and last longer.  Its a paing soldering upside down or on that wierd angle but I do get it to stay somehow but was wondering if anyone went through this and has some tips.  I wish there was like a double sided tape that conducted electricity, hahahahha.  No auto place wants to work on because of fear of shattering the galss with the hot temp soldering gun i guess.  I don't feel like replacing the window cause there is nothing wrong with it and I don't have the extra $$$$$$ but it is annoying when you rear window is all iced up here in the northeast in the mornings.

-Scott

Solder it again, then physically secure it with glue or some other physical attachment to strain-relive the solder connection.

Too much current to trust some non-solder connection IMO.

JR

I believe there is a special glue that has metal in it so as to be conductive
for applying to the element on the window .

I'm with JR, but 3M has in their catalog cupper tape with conductive adhesives. I can't find the link now but I remeber I saw it... If I find it I'll put it here.

JS

Thats for all the comments you guys rock, hopefully it will be somewhat warmer tomorrow and I can get to it.  I will try all your suggestions.  This site rocks.

-Scott

You may also want to add a piece of soldered copper sheet over your work to add to the strain relief.  I get it from a craft store with a sticky back and dissolve the solvent before using as shielding.
Mike

There IS a magic glue/paint sold FOR repairing defroggers, and that is what all my factory repair manuals say to use.

Attachments

• Defrogger.gif
    Defrogger.gif
    15.8 KB
Thanks PRR,
Its not the grid part but the tab on the side where the actual wire hooks onto to deliver the current. The right tab is the only issue the other side is still on from the factory.

Burglar alarm shop. Get a few inches of copper sticky-tape. Stick it next to the end of the defroster trace. Run the silver-paint between them for good conductivity. Solder to copper tape. Secure this wire so the dog doesn't rip it off again.

Back