Solid state soft start for psu

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2K2 into 47uF has a pole at 1.5Hz. However two stages gives 40dB/decade, so at the gate of the MOSFET, your 120Hz (or 100Hz) ripple is over 80dB down, leaving a very clean output on the source of the MOSFET...in addition to the slow start behavior.

I use the exact same circuit in various tube amp projects for screen and preamp B+ supplies. With a high voltage MOSFET, it's very stable with a 1K gate resistor, and can even be made to withstand shorts or overcurrents (shorted output tubes, etc) with a simple current clamp. It's also easy to make a negative version for bias supplies by flipping everything upside down, and switching to a PMOS (since bias supplies generally don't need to provide much if any DC current, the PMOS can even be small like a TO-92).

Thnx, I'll do the same accept with a totem pole config to get the voltage from there rather then the low pass filter and use 1K as well, as everyone does.

The current config i have using this (2K2 into 47uF) makes the voltage rise steper than i had before but much more current rushing, like 1.5 Amp, the inrush maxes now at 270mA.
reviewing the datasheet of Rohm SH8MB5, witch i have, you could be right, 8.5 Amp.

To bad i have no rail 2 rail opamp.

Not sure I understand: the source starts off at 0V, and the R2/R6/U1 charge up C1 until M1 turns on (around 4V threshold), so the source follows the gate upwards (minus the 4V) until steady state is reached.

It's a standard MOSFET capacitance multiplier topology.

Back