Some interesting points of technology

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is an  out takes from a movie called the wrecking crew. The movie has yet to be released as they are trying to pay for all the music cues used in the movie, over 1000 cues. The movie is about a group of session musicians who played on just about everything coming out of L.A. from the late 1950's all the way up to the 80's easily. It was started by Denny Tedesco who's father Tommy was a session musician who played on so many sessions and hits for TV, Film,  and music that Denny wanted  to document his father telling all the stories. It turned into Tommy seeking out other players who did those sessions such as hal blain, Carol Kay and others. I have see a screen of the film and it's very good. Great to hear the old stories. Way cool.

Will be a great film once it's released

The older I get, the more interested I become in the history of our biz (and NOT just the gear).  One of my fave bio movies was the Tom Dowd biopic from several years ago.

One minor quibble with the first interview section in the Wrecking Crew trailer.  Les Paul is given too much credit for the "invention" of multi-track tape recording, at least as we know it today.  That would be Sel-Sync recording, vs. machine to machine bouncing.

For those interested in the beginnings of this and the Ampex connection, listen to some of these oral history recordings with (the late) Ross Snyder who had the brainstorm:

http://www.recordist.com/ampex/mp3/index.html

Bri

I've been following the Wrecking Crew for several years now, as I am on their emailing list. I think it is a great undertaking and will be a wonderful movie, on lots of levels. I just received an email last night from them about a Kickstarter campaign, trying to raise the "final" monies needed to pay off whomever is left. A donation gets a promised DVD of the movie. Normally I would jump right in with a donation but this time, I'm apprehensive. There is a lot of speculation around the nets that Denny could have had this done a long time ago, but has been dragging it out because it's become an industry in and of itself - running around the Country doing screenings, living like a rock star. I want to believe that that is not the case. Someone convince me. :-\

Hmmmmmm. I met Carol Kay a couple of years ago, she wasn't too happy about the movie and said that others would be coming out. I know there was one slated to be on her which might be why?  But I can't say. I have talked to Denny before and he does seem genuine to the cause at hand. But it is such an undertaking as those cues are not cheap and they are so many. I would bet if they had a better lawyer they could negotiate a better rate or some sort of on the back end deal like is done in hollywood.

Well I ended up making a Kickstarter donation. The lure of the DVD was enough to offset my apprehention. Promised delivery is sometime in June '14, after the hoped-for theatrical release.

Back