Something strange happening when accessing gdiy!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot

Hey all,

Has anyone had problems accessing groupdiy recently?
I noticed that I can't open the site a week ago (that is around mid august 2016).
I tried for days and it was always the same message:
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache Server at www.groupdiy.com Port 80"

I was using my macbook that I use for gigs since my pc laptop was on the repair.
Then I tried on friend's pc and guess what - it opened without problem! I had 5 pages of unread messages so obviously forum was very active during my (forced) absence!

I tried with safari and firefox on mac. Both don't work.
Tried it also on my phone (windows 8 ) and it also doesn't work!

But in the end I found out that I actually CAN access groupdiy but only if I google it's name, and then click on the link google provides. I can't access it if I write the address in the address bar or use bookmark (bookmark is clear of any folder structure or anything). Strange!

I tried to google if it's some misconfiguration on my part but found no solutions.

I don't know if this is just me...
Has anyone had similar expirience?

Ethan, I'm so sorry if I posted this in wrong forum! Please feel free to relocate this thread or even delete it if you find it inappropriate.

:(

Luka

I have had this problem too. There was even a thread about it in gearslutz!

it seems to be to do with the fact you don't need the www in front of groupdiy.com. If you google search for groupdiy and click on the first resullt you should get here.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
it seems to be to do with the fact you don't need the www in front of groupdiy.com.

You are so true Ian!!!
It works now when I removed "www"!
Huh! Great! Updated my bookmark and now I feel calm! :) :)
But Ethan you should still look into this.

Agreed.
It's fine most of the time, but when following old posts with links, they all appear broken (even though I know they aren't if you edit the form of the URL).

With and without "www." are two completely different URLs and servers.

But "www." is SO conventional, that most server operators register both names to the same server.

This must be done both in DNS and in the server's config files.

This smells like a config file oversight. (I used to run a mess of multi-host machines, and keeping all the www and default configged right was a pain.)

etheory said:
... but when following old posts with links, they all appear broken (even though I know they aren't if you edit the form of the URL).
Yes. This is a pain. Most people won't edit the URL and complain you for the dead links.

shot said:
ruffrecords said:
it seems to be to do with the fact you don't need the www in front of groupdiy.com.

You are so true Ian!!!
It works now when I removed "www"!
Huh! Great! Updated my bookmark and now I feel calm! :) :)
But Ethan you should still look into this.
Ethan is aware of this, it happened about a month ago when he was messing with the DNS to help the forum load faster.

JR

I am not sure if this is something on my side but every time I try to change page I keep getting " are you sure you want to leave this page" pop up. I click on " leave this page" the pop up comes back again. I click on it second times and page changes.

I was made aware of this, and it was fixed last week. As of now, www.groupdiy.com, as well as groupdiy.com both resolve to the proper destination. However, your browser may still be cacheing the old destination. Clearing your browser cache for groupdiy.com should solve that issue.

I can confirm here in California that the DNS entries for both appear to be mapped to the same place:

ping groupdiy.com
PING groupdiy.com (208.52.168.149) 56(84) bytes of data.

ping www.groupdiy.com
PING groupdiy.com (208.52.168.149) 56(84) bytes of data.

sahib said:
I am not sure if this is something on my side but every time I try to change page I keep getting " are you sure you want to leave this page" pop up. I click on " leave this page" the pop up comes back again. I click on it second times and page changes.

Ethan said:
............ However, your browser may still be cacheing the old destination. Clearing your browser cache for groupdiy.com should solve that issue.

I have deleted all the temporary internet files on both my home and work computers and it stopped initially but it started to do it again. In fact some times I have to click on the pop up 3 times to change the page.

Edit: Just deleted the temporary files and re-logged on. It works fine.

Latest posts

Back