Sony TC-186SD cassette deck "de-essing" record head problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingston

Hello,

I scored a Sony TC-186SD stereo cassette deck. Just walked by a random trashpile and there it was.

I cleaned it well (including heads) and fixed a little mechanical problem with the record switch and now it's in great condition, even visually. Everything just works. Apparently this deck was made '76-79 in Germany, and during Sony's golden hifi age. Build quality is just awesome, real VU meters and all, and I'm amazed how good it sounds after 30 years and apparently no re-capping. The tape heads are in good condition and I can't detect any wear.

There's just one problem. Not depending on bias setting or tape type, everything I play has a weird de-essing mush problem. Sounds very close to the mush when vinyls have been played back far too many times, when hihats and vocals S sounds odd and inaccurate. Some material is more subject to it than others, just like vinyl. These tapes are new, type I.

At this point I have no way of verifying if it's the playback or record head.

I have little experience with cassette decks. Maybe it's something very common that can be fixed?

Please help if this rings any bell.

Mike

I just verified with a tape recorded on another deck: record head is definitely the problem here.

Playback is pure magnetic bliss. Been such a long time, I didn't remember just how good cassettes sound when overdriven just right.

Anyway, record head etc. related fixing tips appreciated if anything comes to mind. I still can't see anything wrong visually.

I have to look at tape head demagnetisation as well.

I also noticed it plays tapes just slightly slower than a properly calibrated deck. little finetuning to do there as well.

Apparently de-magnetisation won't help me at all.

A magnetised tape playback head will slowly eat away high frequencies and cause all kinds odd noise disturbances. Kind of like partial erase. But I have no problems with playing back the same position over and over. It always sounds the same.

But record head can't be de-magnetised. There would be no point. During recording it will be magnetised with VAC anyway.

Back