Best Cassette Recorder? Hidden Gems?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well.

I want to start my own record label, instead of buying the new 500$-700$ cassettes decks that came out these last years, I want to drop 100 bucks or so, or much less, and just get rolling men. I know about the breakdowns of these old units, the maintenance that has to be done, the risk of not finding replacement parts and all that bag. That is just as important. The replacement parts most of all. And about the love of music that one has to have to start a cassette record label in 2022. All of that is covered. I can get my hands dirty and repair them.

I found these on my local used store. I know close to nothing about cassette deck models. I have studied reparation, maintenance, inner workings of cassette decks and how different types of cassettes work. The different types of cassettes (the tape in itself) and their analogous deck. I'm curious if the first two reel machines are **usable** in a studio setting. I'm not looking for a Studer sound, just some distinct flavor to the sound. As well I don't want to buy something that it's simply not worth it, you know, instant trash. Just a little something will get me a long way. As I'm just starting out on this endeavor.

Here's the list of reel tapes decks, maybe there's a hidden gem in there:

Reel Tapes:

1 - Reel Akai M-x2000sd
2 - TEAC A-2340R 4 Channels

Cassettes Decks:

3 - Sony Stereo Cassette Deck Tc -w3 Ac
4 - Philips Dcc900 Digital Cassette Deck
5 - Sony Cassette Tc-K5 (1978)
6 - Sony Deck El-5
7 - Yazumi1850 Cassette Tuner Am/fm Stereo
8 - Sony Cassette Deck TC-206SD Stereo
9 - Yazumi Cassette Deck Pro System 2580
10 - Yazumi 1850 1800 Cassette Deck and Tuner Am/fm

Any of these will do the trick? What are your considerations on these units?
Here is a short list of brand-new cassette decks that are being introduced into the market:

Hope this helps!!!

/

The new decks seem entirely focused on duplication, rather than high-quality original recordings - which is much more demanding.

Hey DIY Cassette Label Calling.
Shipping looks like about $50 for this one but might be useful? Looks solid.
3 at a time...

Sony Audio Cassette Duplicator-Model CCP-1300​

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/149448299

TMI - my DIY friends in the late 80's had this cassette only label WGNS, putting out compilations of DC bands.
WGNS eventually became a DC recording studio I was a parter in for a while.
Their releases are preserved below from the cassette masters.
They all had cool hand made xerox covers from confederates in the Kinko's Copies of the era.
https://www.wgns.com/recordings/cassettes/
(I'm on WGNS9 "The Halloween Cassette" (1984) Hahaha.)

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I haven't had a solid internet conection in a while I will try again tomorrow night with a summary of these weeks.

A friend, who was in the cassette scene from the beginning, sold his 10.000 cassette collection for 40.000 € to a German who is starting a cassette museum. He's already got many thousands of cassettes. Half of those have never been released on another medium.

To quote The Clash; Goin' underground.

Hey guys hope everyone is doing good.

So yeah, inflation skyrocketed, and most problematic, the internet company hasn't placed landline internet in my house yet (more than a year without a connection) . That means really high prices, can't work, no money rolls in. (I do all my stuff online nowadays, will take it outside as soon as I can)

But I did found a technician who is profesional up to my standards and knows other people who can get the job done if he isn't knowledgeable enough to complete it. It is really helpful to have found him.

So if I give him one of these two I have at home, maybe he can do fix them up or send it to someone who can def fix em' up. The candidates are:

20220815_194825170.jpg

20220815_194831371.jpg

20220815_194847810.jpg

a 70's Techniques Stereo Casssette Deck 631 and a 90's Sony LBT-D305

I don't mind recording everytime from the master source, in fact I think it's best practice, so either one would be a good choice.

I have as well an old 4 track Tascam, the big ones, the ones with the orange and greeen knobs, will later write down the model, but that one does need a full repair and I think will totally lack in the high frequencies.

I hadn't had that much internet conection time so I really dont know where to take this, the whole selling Cassettes Recordig Label thing, but when I get landline internet, a working internet connection, I will just start networking and asking my friends and get the ball rolling. Put one or two Cassettes out, market them in IG and in music boards, and just get rolling.

My bet goes to the one that has better sound and is most reliable.

Which one do you think I should fix up for this job? (Then later I will probably get another one more suitable for the job, even like the cassette duplicator that's on one of the top posts, but I have to have internet first, or if it's even for that price still, I think I could get it and bring it to my neck of the woods)

The 90s Sony is from a budget hi-fi system so it is anyone's guess as to the performance. The 70s Techniques is a lot older but well specified for the era. If I had to choose I would plump for the Techniques.

Cheers

Ian

The 90s Sony is from a budget hi-fi system so it is anyone's guess as to the performance. The 70s Techniques is a lot older but well specified for the era. If I had to choose I would plump for the Techniques.

Cheers

Ian
Thanks Ian, your input is always welcome. If I send one to fix up not cutting corners will be that one. If the budget permits it I'll fix up both and do A/B testing. And after a while upgrade to another better suitable and better sounding deck.

Any other suggestion is welcome.

[Half joking, how about offering downloads that sound like coming from cassette tape ?? Then buyers can copy to their own tapes, you know, copy of copy of copy of... just like the real thing back then ;) No, I am really just joking. I admire your commitment. Good luck and sounds like you'll have a lot of fun !]
lol i've done it in 2014, selling the album as a regular digital download, and i ripped a cassette version of it and offered it as a bonus download

Goblin if you still wanna get going before you get the hardware sorted, i did an impulse response set of a Yamaha MT4x 4 track cassette recorder, its eq, and everything.. It's been very popular!

Goblin if you still wanna get going before you get the hardware sorted, i did an impulse response set of a Yamaha MT4x 4 track cassette recorder, its eq, and everything.. It's been very popular!

Yo alphasnk love that impulse idea! I had one of those Yamaha tape recorders, in pristine conditions, left it at one of the places I was living as a gift, I miss that hardware!

I'll probably just buy it cuz I love anything that changes audio, I have like 15 gigs or double that of free plugins, I'm always downloading free plugins.

As if I don't have enough disciplines I practice I'm studying Projucer. And as soon as I can, will buy a big bulk of electronic parts to start building my pedals and rack units., def will ask for guidance here about where, which ones and the quantity. Also I'm into atm looking at arduinos integrating them with pure data. Usually I do at a time two or three things to be effective. I know from long ago that trap of "jack of all trades, master of none", so usually I do two or three things for a year non stop everyday. It works for me.

Thanks for offering your product to me, most likely when the next track sells come in I'll get it!

Latest posts

Back