SoundCraft TS12 EQ and Insert Issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefastvinny

This is the first time I have seen this console, let alone try to troubleshoot any issues. So there is a very interesting problem going on that I can't quite rap my head around. Upon commissioning the desk, I found about 9 Channels that would not pass audio with the EQ in that respective Channel Path (Line Input - EQ to CH Switch up; Mix Input - EQ to CH switch down) regardless of the EQ being turned on or not. I assumed that it was going to be a modular problem and had the Channels sent to a repair shop that had the test jig. We got them back and after further investigation, the issue still persisted. I later found the problem to be the slot that the modules came from. A couple of these Channels in question were swapped and the bad ones worked in different slots. Even more investigation, it appears that the Insert Rtns are not passing audio as well. Make sense to anyone or improbable coincidence? From earlier though, All audio paths DO pass audio with respect to the EQ to CH switch.

A little bit of history on how this console was setup by previous owners:

They were using an automation system at one time, what and how is unknown, but they had cut traces on the patchbay in the Insert send/rtn and hardwired them to a Mackie Ultra 34. The reason of this, I have no idea but apparently it had something to do with the automation system. The Mackie unit is all that remains of the system and is in constant bypass mode.

So from here I went to look at the Patchbay and craftsmanship of the wiring to the Mackie unit. It has deteriorated quite a bit and needs re-worked, or just return the desk to original working order. By simply wiring the send and return together to see if that was the cause of the issue, I found that it is most likely not the case.

After a few minutes of deep thought and some soothing tunes, I decided to check a good Channel VS. a bad Channel. Found that on the bad Channel, the + leg of the Insert points were nearly shorted to ground at about 78Ohms. This short would go away when the PSU was shut off, and/or when the Patchbay ribbon connector with those points were disconnected.

Any thoughts on this madness???

Sorry for the lengthy post but I had to explain in detail because it just doesn't make sense to me.

V

That sounds like not so much fun yet... I'd recommend you also post that at http://forum.analogconsole.com/.
And - as I have it's bigger brother TS24 in my studio - for switching-problems I would always first think it's a bad ALPS/ITT-switch. Are these switches latching or non-latching with electronic-switching? But if they work in other slots? Maybe the connectors on the Main-PCB's in the chassis? Do you have an extender card to check channels outside of the desk? If not make yourself one - it's not that difficult.
For the non-working Inserts: Maybe the ribbon-cables from module to patchbay are not o.k.?
Keep us updated!

Chris

I think I will have to make an extender to investigate. I find it odd that on the channels with this bazaar EG issue also don't pass audio at the insert return. Keep you posted on this issue for sure. I wish the manual would just have a pin out for the ribbon headers - Booo. Guess I have to just write one up from the schems.

Hello V,
After reading a few times your first post, I would bet your trouble comes from the previous Mackie Ultra 34 automation system.
What does remain in the TS12 from this installation ?
I would suggest you to measure the ohmic path of the Insert Send/Return of a "good" slot channel and compare with a "bad" slot channel, on CN1 connector of a mono channel.
With no patch cords inserted in the patchbay ! :)
Test between CN1 pin 12 and 10, and between CN1 pin 11 and 9.  (  be careful how the pinout numbering is organized on the multipin CN1 connector ! )
The ohm value must be low on all channels.
Also : from where are the Mackie cards power supplied ?  from the TS12 ? or from a separate power supply ?
Do you have the original Soundcraft User Manual ?
Best,
Guy

Latest posts

Back