Soundelux U-95 pin-out & voltages?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nielsk

I have a U-95 on the bench that I need to build a cable & P/S for.
Does anyone have this information?
This came from the estate of a young producer that died tragically, when his parents could finally bring themselves to deal with things everything just got yanked, so many power supplies and cables were dislocated or lost.
Thanks!

Is it that complicated to deduce from the circuit?

- B+
- heater supply
- two pins for audio (worst case you'll have to swap these to get the right polarity)
- ground
- rear diaphragm bias (for pattern select)

Safe to assume B+ is 120v, heater will depend how the two are wired inside the mic (series or parallel).

I think I might have a sounddeluxe power supply - I'll check tonight. I've used it for years with a DIY mic.

Thanks for the replies, if you have a schematic Khron, please post it!
I have searched with no luck for any doc on this mic.
From what I have found I deduce it is based on the ELAM 250 circuit with variable pattern, as I do not have time to reverse engineer it if there is a chance of obtaining a schematic I am on that path first.
Simply because it uses a 6072 does not mean the B+ is 120 VDC or the pattern voltage is 0-120, although it very well may be. I am probably safe on assuming the Heater voltage is standard for a 6072, although there are ample examples of designs manipulating the heater voltage for various results.
Does anyone here have a U-95 they can confirm the voltages and pins used?

I doubt there's much reason to reverse engineer the entire circuit; all one would need would be to see where the wires go. And perhaps to check the bottom of the tube (socket) and see whether the heaters are wired in series or parallel.

But hey, if waiting's your thing, have at it ;)

I've repaired a U95S - note the "S". It's the follow-up version of the U95. It does NOT use a 6072, but an EF86, instead (B+ in the mic I fixed was 176.7V, Heater 6.3). There are other significant changes, so such things as the pin-out might also be different. See "Recording Hacks" website for details by searching U95S.

The pin-out of the XLR-6 cable was: 1) B+ 2) Heater 3) Pattern Select Voltage 4) Audio Pos. 5) Audio Neg. 6) Ground

Best of luck with it all.

No. Pin 3 caries the variable voltage from the pattern select switch (located in the power supply) and it connects through some high value resistors to the rear diaphragm. That's how the patterns are controlled.

By the way, if your mic has a 6072 tube in it, the B+ at the top of the plate resistor should likely be 115V (assuming a plate resistor of 100,000 Ohms).

We have a pair of e49's and the power supplies for them, I think they're "P99" but haven't used them in a while because one of the two mics is acting a little funny and haven't had time to diagnose it.

Not sure if this is the PSU box you need or not?

Thanks for that, it appears that it uses the N-95 power supply
Think I read somewhere that back in 90's mr. Bock manufactured U95 in China (with no luck) for short time and that mic was prototype for revolution of Chinese Tube mics as we know today.
It would be interesting if you can compare circuit in U-95 with Apex 460 or any other OEM with the same circuit.

Krohn, it is so sweet how helpful you are trying to be, and I am happy you have so much free time to play.
Like a few others here, I actually work in the recording studio business for a living, have more work than time, and clients that work on tight margins.
So far I have spent about 10 minutes due diligence web searching and posting, well worth it if I can avoid reverse engineering the wheel. If this were a rare and valuable piece with no documentation available rather than a moderate value item that has documentation somewhere, I would be diving in head first from the get go.
As it is, if the doc can be found in a fraction of the total time of reverse engineering, it can save me & my client valuable resources and be posted here for others to easily access.

So I would up having to (totally, as it was fubar) reverse engineer this thing after all...
for anyone who may need it, the 6 pin XLR is:
1 & 2 = audio out, transformer balanced
3= B+ (120 VDC)
4= Pattern (0-120 VDC)
5= H+ (6.3 VDC)
6 + Case= Ground
Basically a C-12 clone

Back