Sourcing Caps for Sony MC800G Power Supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessJackson

Ive been having a problem with the power supply of my Sony C800G, a hum is slowly created based on a bad cap... when power off and back on again, the hum is instantly gone.

My plan is to just replace all of the caps within the power supply...

I've been looking all over the net with no luck... Wondering if anyone here has any leads on where I may obtain the following caps.

1 x C103 Sony Part No. 1-126-057-61 s CAP, ELECT 2200MF - ELNA Starget 35 v 2200 uF (M) ce85*c pinky red

3 x C108 Sony Part No. 1-114-317-11 s CAP, ELECT 10000MF - Nippon Chemi-Con Negative Black 35v 10000 uf (M) Audio 85

2 x C105 Sony Part No. 1-125-447-11 s CAP, DOUBLE LAYERS 1.0F - think its 5.5v Just reads Japan... black

1 x C107 Sony Part No. 1-126-767-61 s CAP, ELECT 1000MF - Elna 16 v Blue

C108
caps1.jpg

C108
caps2.jpg

C108
caps3.jpg

C103
caps4.jpg

2 x C105 and C107 on the right
caps8.jpg

Did you check/test/replace the tubes?  Why do you think you need to replace the caps?

Do you have access to an oscilloscope and a current clamp.

Gus said:
Did you check/test/replace the tubes?  Why do you think you need to replace the caps?

Do you have access to an oscilloscope and a current clamp.

Hi Gus, appreciate the reply... yeah I replaced the tubes, it was the first thing that I did. Its not actually microphonic tube noise, its a lower 60 hz saw wave that creeps up and gets louder over the course of time.

I tested my mic at interscope studio's on their power supplies and it was fine, their mic on my power supply wasn't though.

Unfortunately I don't have access to those... I record with the mic every day so sending it out to techs is difficult too, thats why I was just going to replace all caps one morning and just be done with it.

J

The red one looks bloated, so that would be the first you should replace. It's also the easiest to replace; any good quality 2200 uF/ 35V should do. C107 is a standard value, too. The two flat ones (C105) are supercaps or gold caps. They're not too hard to find, either, and not too expensive. I wouldn't replace the big ones unless you really have to. You may have hard time finding the same form factor and the same quality. Might be expensive, too. Get a RCL meter and measure them.

You seem inexperienced with electronics; if that's the case, you better hand this over an experienced repair guy. Seriously! A bad PSU will hurt your expensive mic and, in fact, may hurt you.

That red Starget cap looks like the odd one out - it could well be a replacement, indicating that this has been serviced in the past.

First you need to find out what supply(s) in the power supply is causing the issue.
B+ supply
heater supply  The 2,200 could be in the heater circuit.

Check the diodes.  Check solder connections and plug connections for good contact.
Did you check the supply under load?

It also should have a peltier supply it

Rossi said:
The red one looks bloated, so that would be the first you should replace. It's also the easiest to replace; any good quality 2200 uF/ 35V should do. C107 is a standard value, too. The two flat ones (C105) are supercaps or gold caps. They're not too hard to find, either, and not too expensive. I wouldn't replace the big ones unless you really have to. You may have hard time finding the same form factor and the same quality. Might be expensive, too. Get a RCL meter and measure them.

You seem inexperienced with electronics; if that's the case, you better hand this over an experienced repair guy. Seriously! A bad PSU will hurt your expensive mic and, in fact, may hurt you.

Cheers Rossi I appreciate your input. I have to be honest with you, this was my first inclination also. I'm going to replace the starget first and try my luck there.

Sony actually sell all of the caps but you know what they are like with their pricing... they want $50 for each 10,000 cap and $50 a tube... ridiculous.

Im not inexperienced with electronics though, I'm definitely not as knowledgable as many of you on here but used to design schematics to build transmitters for pirate radio stations in London. I just havn't got my hands dirty in a little while and i'm not setup for it here in the states. Full time producer / songwriter now but wanted to get DIY on this one... This c800g specifically is my baby and she's treated me very well.

I do have a meter so were good there, I'll test them tomorrow.

Cheers again

zebra50 said:
That red Starget cap looks like the odd one out - it could well be a replacement, indicating that this has been serviced in the past.

You just gave me an idea... I know a couple studio's with mc800g's that I could pop the lid and see what they have in them.

Does anyone have any experience with Nichicon Fine Golds?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Nichicon-35V-2200UF-Fine-Gold-FG-Audio-Capacitor-/290371866874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2751wt_913

Your link is dead... But I don't think you need a specialized audio cap in this application.
C103 is the 3 cap in the heater supply. It has to be reliable, relatively low impedance, but it doesn't pass audio...
Choose a good 105° part with the right dimension...

The schemo is here in case you didn't found the previous thread:
http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?pos=-1312

Also beware about C108, it's a twin cap. 2 X 10 000µF / 35V. There's probably the same in the pelletier PSU. But I don't know about the third one!
Maybe your C800G PSU is not the same than the one I traced, but I have seen only 3 twin caps in mine, and they were unmarked. One thing is sure thought, the 3rd was in the HV section, so probably a 400V part at least... Please do not put a 10 000µF/35V there!

Axel

Back