Sphere LX question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spendy

Hi. Checked archives and could not find any information, so posting here.

I was in the market for a modeling mic and settled on the UA Sphere LX, which is discounted till the end of the month.

The trouble is, according to the UA associate with whom I just spoke, the Mac OS I am running (I do not wish to update from Mojave due to loss of 32-bit plugin use if I install any newer OS) I will not be able to download the Sphere software and their DL system only supports Catalina or later.

So, I got to thinking: MAYbe there is a mic that features a similar frequency response to the LX (or DLX or Townsend L22) that I could use with the Townsend software that came with the L22. I actually have that software from a few years back. I could then use this similar spec mic, with a split XLR (running to the two channels on my interface as the Townsend and Sphere mics require) with the new mic and get something that sounded decent enough.

So... what I am seeking is the chart referenced above or someone who might have some experience regarding what I've just described.

Many thanks!

Spendy

Hi, KK. I just read your breakdown with interest. I suppose what I am looking for at this point is suggestions as to which microphones might have similar frequency response patterns to the L22. As I cannot download the LX software, perhaps a similarly patterned mic might work? I know a standard condenser won't be able to take advantage of all the geat things the Sphere software does, but, in theory, perhaps I could get some usable, one dimensional tone out of some flat condenser with the original Townsend software. And, yeah, I have an XLR cable that splits into two channels. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back