SSL Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedug

Hi,

I finally finished my ssl compressor and fired it up.

I toasted the 2 10R resisters. What wattage are they supposed to be?

Any idea of other stuff to check before firing it up again?

Also, the secondaries on the transformer I'm using has solid core wire and I had to rework the ends, so the tinned ends are gone. I can't seem to get solder to adhere to the solid wire on the secondary of this transformer. Any thoughts?

d./

I just found a parts list with all the resisters listed as 1/2watt.

Do they all need to be 1/2watt?

d./

I used 1/4W. You probably have a short somewhere in the control section. It'd pull an asspile of current through the 12V regulators, and toast those voltage dropping resistors.

Where should I be looking for a short? I.E. What is the "control section"

[quote author="thedug"]Where should I be looking for a short? I.E. What is the "control section"[/quote]

Regretfully you have to look everywhere for a short :?
Remote diagnosis isn't easy in this case.

There are several ways you could do.
I would print out a mirrored pcb trackside so that you have the traces on the paper in the same direction as on the pcb.
So you'll see where a connection has to be and where not.
Use a multimeter which makes a beep sound if the leads are shorted and
check every pads and traces which were close to each other.

If you're using a self etched pcb then check for shorted traces. A Carped cutter works good here :wink:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I could try to find shorts from here if you scan the pcb with 300dpi and send it to me if you want :green:

Also check the polarity of the elcos and diodes!
I don't know how often I'd said this... but I didn't follow that myself :green: :green: :green:

This happens if a 1N4148 is wrongly soldered in: :roll: :green:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/171-7179_MVI.AVI

Another idea is to buy a short finder for 20€. Could be very helpful.
I think I have to buy one of these. There is a signal tone which changes the pitch of sound the closer you get to the short. Isn't that nice? :wink:
I don't know if this is available in all countries but if I buy one I could send the pcb and pcb layout so everyone can build one.

17771.jpg

[quote author="nrgrecording"]
I could try to find shorts from here if you scan the pcb with 300dpi and send it to me if you want :green:
[/quote]

Hey this is not a bad idea! Scan the pcb and check for shorts on the nice big monitor! I am gonna use that next time I am about to throw a board out the window. :green:

[quote author="thedug"]
Also, the secondaries on the transformer I'm using has solid core wire and I had to rework the ends, so the tinned ends are gone. I can't seem to get solder to adhere to the solid wire on the secondary of this transformer. Any thoughts?

d./[/quote]
Sounds like it still has the coat on it. Try burning it with a lighter and scrape it off the wire. Or just scrape it off.

[quote author="nrgrecording"]
There are several ways you could do.
I would print out a mirrored pcb trackside so that you have the traces on the paper in the same direction as on the pcb.
So you'll see where a connection has to be and where not.
Use a multimeter which makes a beep sound if the leads are shorted and
check every pads and traces which were close to each other.
[/quote]

I agree, this is the best way to find a short. You should find it pretty quickly using this method. Assuming it's a short...

Latest posts

Back