Ssl Duality still 5532 and TL ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember the part numbers but all SMD (except some caps)

B7w5MnSIgAAUnOM.jpg

Is audio still only 20Hz-20kHz? If so the old soldier ICs are still fast enough.

Newer quieter chips wouldn't suck but noise floors are typically dominated by the mic preamps.

JR

[silent:arts] said:
Can't remember the part numbers but all SMD (except some caps)
many thanks for post Volker !
as I imagined (sound apart)
like in the x-rackmodules.....
less expensive parts , many more moneys in pockets......
(seen the price of the desk ,..... and x-rack series too...)
more thanks
cheers

I didn't take the foto, I found it using Google ;-)
However, since we own a Duality I can confirm the foto is correct.

In an professional environment I actually prefer companies earning money in their pocket over cheap "one off companies" without support or existence a few years after your purchase.

SIXTYNINER said:
many thanks for post Volker !
as I imagined (sound apart)
like in the x-rackmodules.....
less expensive parts , many more moneys in pockets......
(seen the price of the desk ,..... and x-rack series too...)
more thanks
cheers

Less expensive parts, that enable a more consistent manufacturing process, and better board layout!

Its not just "more money in pocket", think of the margins of a company like SSL, and then realize what they need to survive. Given the extreme complexity, number of parts, and low volume of units sold, the duality is still pretty affordable if you ask me. Expecting a modern company to use Through Hole parts is just nonsense. Outside of the audio myth heads and techs that cannot be bothered to solder smaller parts, I see no reason to go back. 

SMD technology is useful in high performance console design as the more compact tighter layouts can reduce loop area for less crosstalk and noise pickup.

You can also fit more circuit features into a smaller space, while conventional consoles are limited by front panel room to support physical controls.

JR

Latest posts

Back