Cutting circuit boards then reconnecting?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriscrispin

Hello - this is potentially a dumb question but thats never stopped me before.....

There is a now faulty but salvagbly decent old mixer (an Allen Heath MOD 3 type, Discrete, transformer mic, 24v etc) I am looking at having worked up into a semi custom desk. For the main part the circuits are good as is, (I am not a tech myself, but I know first hand the difference between having some bones to work with and starting from scratch!)......but the strips are incredibly long and unwieldy and vomit coloured, and ironically faders are the short-throw type which I am not a huge fan of.

As I had already planned to reface the panels and use the old usefully angled as a sub-panel, reformatting the strips into an attractive multi-angle chassis would be excellent, but in order to do that one would have to split the long circuits and reconnect.

Is that in any way entirely possible? I can't help but wonder if this kind of practice already happens when people rack up channel strips or convert things for use into 500 series for example.
Is it as 'simple' as reconnecting by whatever means the paths might have been terminated by cutting, and reconnecting with wire or even proper ribbon connectors etc?

Though I have made the assumption that the most 'sensible' alternative to 'frankensteining' would be to re-layout and print new separated PCBs, I am fully aware, that in itself would take a decent amount of time/effort and cost than a brutal but efficient slicing (it really doesn't have to be pretty underneath).

I have attached a pic imagining where it might be good to separate into two (sorry based on whatever I can find online, I don't have the mixer yet) - interested to know if anyone has done this kind of thing.

Attachments

• Snip-A.jpg
    Snip-A.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Snip-B.jpg
    Snip-B.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Is that in any way entirely possible?

Yes and it's done all the time by people that rack console channel strips professionally.

I can't help but wonder if this kind of practice already happens when people rack up channel strips or convert things for use into 500 series for example.
Is it as 'simple' as reconnecting by whatever means the paths might have been terminated by cutting, and reconnecting with wire or even proper ribbon connectors etc?

Yes, it is.

Latest posts

Back