steak juice dripped into my mackie (bloodymackie pic inside)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CJ wrote: "Good excuse to switch over to a Neve ! "

This may be a blessing in disguise.

Time to start hanging out in the "small mixer project" thread

I hope you at least enjoyed the steak.

Those damn texans are always eating BBQ in the control room
BBQ sauce on the fu*kin knobs ...grease on the faders and
ketchup and mustard onthe VU's :grin:

Those damn texans are always eating BBQ in the control room

It's true, it's true. Guilty as charged. :oops:

I used some PCB flux remover to get the bulk of the crud out. I'm gonna go ahead and pull some components....kinda worried about those SMT chips....those pins are teeny.

Here's a pic of the damage before I started cleaning it...

bloodymackie.jpg

[quote author="Zee1usa"]Time to start hanging out in the "small mixer project" thread[/quote]

Where is this thread? I looked all over and couldn't find it. :?: :wink: :green:

Wow, look at that circuit board. I wonder how many layers something like that would have to be. That looks stupid-crazy dense.

elco

I used to have a Alesis studio 32 about 7 years ago
which i had for about 1 year and it seemed to work ok, but
failed shortly after the warranty was up. I took the thing apart
to trouble shoot it. It was a surface mount bypass capacitor that failed
and took out the main left output.

The PCB looked almost identical to the mackie you have pictured.

Oh man, I do feel guilty taking amusement from someone else's misfortune, but I've got to say this has to be one of the funniest threads I've ever seen :shock: :green:

Justin

It's ok Justin. In the overall scheme of misfortune, this is barely a blip on the radar screen.....I do feel kinda stupid, though. Glad to provide some humor. D'oh!

Had I damaged my racked Neves or one of my compressors.....I'd have be sedated at this point.

Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to just DISABLE (somehow) the affected channels.

Thoughts on this?

Ric

There's something incredibly fascinating to me about electronics where the entire circuit, panel controls and all is on one PCB. I love the idea of the circuit weaving around between the pots and switches. that's awesome. I'd like to design stuff that way.

am I alone?

mark

[quote author="verbos"]am I alone?[/quote]
No, you're not. I like doing things that way - you can avoid all the boring wiring work :green:

I have only made small circuits so far though. It takes a lot of planning to get right. The controls/plugs have to fit the PCB exactly, the PCB has to fit in the box exactly etc. The first PCB you make will probably be bad, the next "prototype" a bit better etc. Unless you're very good at getting it right the first time around (unlike me :wink:).

You can get into problems with this approach though. If you plug/unplug cables often, you can get loose connections at the connector soldering joints. So you have to make sure the connectors are attached to the chassis, so the solder joints don't have to take the strain.

Here's one of the small projects I have made: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Remote3/Parts.html

I made an "active" version also yesterday, but I don't have any pictures of that yet...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

my gawd......I cleaned this mess up carefully, dried it out real good and guess what? The damn thing works perfectly minus channel 16.

unbelievable.

Back