step up transformer for make up gain?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraware

I am using 4:1 [10k:600] Jensen input transformers in my 'EAResque' eq to drop the levels, thus avoid/lessen LF inductor saturation.
My first post on this project, which has a link to the forssell schemo and pics of the filter boardsHERE

The filters will use a single opamp gain stage a la the forsell scheme. I need to figure out where the best place is to make up the initial step-down...I just barely know what I am doing here, so forgive me if it is obvious :? , but I see that it is/may be possible to:
(1) use the filter opamp for makeup too? or
(2) have an active output stage with make-up gain. or
(3) use a step-up output transformer to match the step-down input?

Any comments on the trade-offs? It seems to me that a step-up output transformer may be an elegant [read simple] solution, but it does not seem to be a common one-perhaps for good reasons?

a step up is fine but you have to look deeper into how you are going to drive that trafo. stepping up voltage means you need more current drive..

Cool. Can you point me to some reading on this issue? So far, I am looking over the Jensen 'typical application' schematics for their step-up output transformers....and trying to catch a clue :wink:

[for inputs I am using 2xJensen jt-6110-b]

As an elementary aside, what are the fundamental design differences between an input and an output trafo?

As an elementary aside, what are the fundamental design differences between an input and an output trafo?

Output transformers can be driven from a known (and often very low) source impedance. This often makes it cheap, simple, and wide-band.

Input transformers has to be designed to accept a variety of (often med-to-hi Z) source impedances, and thus becomes expensive, complicated, and bandwidth-restricted.

(this is a very simplified version)

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back