Stolen credit card number

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

f**king bastards managed to steal my CC number. Not sure how they made that happen. I still got the CC. But the managed to make a purchase on the CC even though I have the card.  The good news, the fraud department was on top of it.

Only took one charge to get a phone call from the fraud department and confirm what was mine and not mine. Who knew the bastards tried to use it at a gas station, buy fast food and for paying a parking meter in San Francisco while I was no where near the bay area since last year. 

Once in a border city (half Brazil, half Uruguay) after a few purchases with the same CC the company called asking because they received several charges swapping back and forth two different countries. That call they attention and the call was to verify the authenticity of those charges.

I guess different areas on the same country could be figured out as well specially now days, that story was from 10+ years ago. I don't know how the scale is between the numbers of transactions and the security measures is, processing power sure increased faster than CC usage.

JS

This is a surprisingly common occurrence. It has happened to me several times. I am sure it must have been leaked from an on line supplier. I am in the UK and the most common fraudulent transactions tend to be abroad. Every time the CC fraud team have spotted them and refused them.

Cheers

Ian

Well I had my identity stolen over 10 years ago. I went through the ringer and even had to file a police report to prove some of the things done under my name were not me.  I have done the dance before, I do keep my stuff as secure as I can. I hate to do any online banking and our purchases for that reason. But some of it can't be avoided.

Best to do is stay vigilant and read every statement and keep all the receipts along side shredding important information.
Then of course keeping a lock box or safe with the real important documents like a birth certificate and such. 

pucho812 said:
Well I had my identity stolen over 10 years ago. I went through the ringer and even had to file a police report to prove some of the things done under my name were not me.  I have done the dance before, I do keep my stuff as secure as I can. I hate to do any online banking and our purchases for that reason. But some of it can't be avoided.

Best to do is stay vigilant and read every statement and keep all the receipts along side shredding important information.
Then of course keeping a lock box or safe with the real important documents like a birth certificate and such.
I would add to this, never give sensitive info over a cell phone. Landline, yes, cell phone no.

Phrazemaster said:
I would add to this, never give sensitive info over a cell phone. Landline, yes, cell phone no.

Encrypted digital signal no, analog 'pinch-a-cable' signal yes?

JS

joaquins said:
Encrypted digital signal no, analog 'pinch-a-cable' signal yes?

JS
I use credit cards to sell my drum tuners and I don't even accept card numbers over the telephone myself.

I have a link on my website that takes the customer to a SSL protected website that accepts their CC data and processes it for approval. I never see more than the last 4 digits in the notice I receive, making it literally impossible for me to lose or mishandle a customers CC data.
======
I have an option with my personal CC to issue temporary numbers if I don't trust the vendor.  These temporary numbers can be used for a quick transaction or two then disabled. If I do not see a SSL icon for the website (HTTPS: address) asking for sensitive data, I get nervous and use a temp #.

I can also shut off my CC number temporarily and restore it (I'm kind of tempted to leave it shut off until I decide to use it next).

Apparently big stores get ripped off a lot by old technology CC (and customers too if a crook adds a data sniffer to the store terminal to collect CC numbers) . The new improved CC with active chips built in should be more secure for both scenarios.

Interesting how crime is evolving. Now hackers infect a small company's computer system, lock it up, and hold it hostage for a ransom payment... If they did that to me I'd say go ahead kill it.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I use credit cards to sell my drum tuners and I don't even accept card numbers over the telephone myself.

I have a link on my website that takes the customer to a SSL protected website that accepts their CC data and processes it for approval. I never see more than the last 4 digits in the notice I receive, making it literally impossible for me to lose or mishandle a customers CC data.
======
I have an option with my personal CC to issue temporary numbers if I don't trust the vendor.  These temporary numbers can be used for a quick transaction or two then disabled. If I do not see a SSL icon for the website (HTTPS: address) asking for sensitive data, I get nervous and use a temp #.

I can also shut off my CC number temporarily and restore it (I'm kind of tempted to leave it shut off until I decide to use it next).

Apparently big stores get ripped off a lot by old technology CC (and customers too if a crook adds a data sniffer to the store terminal to collect CC numbers) . The new improved CC with active chips built in should be more secure for both scenarios.

Interesting how crime is evolving. Now hackers infect a small company's computer system, lock it up, and hold it hostage for a ransom payment... If they did that to me I'd say go ahead kill it.  8)

JR

Oh, of course I choose an SSL over telling it to somebody, that idea of spelling the number to somebody else is ridiculous, worst case they could be just a telemarketer selling/using CC numbers on the side, nothing to do with the method of communications with them. The problem with SSL is they still rely on CC number, unlike the chip on card (CoC) Technology that's been around for ages (~20+y?) but only now started to be used for CC.

I do like the temporary number option for dubious transactions, I don't know if I have that option on mine. Good thing of CoC is the direct communication between the company and the card and the double encrypted  transaction, even sniffing out the transaction doesn't make the data available without the encryption key, The mag strip is just the data written on the card in a way easy to read to the machine, doesn't imply any safety whatsoever, more like the oposite, making it easier to copy with simple device.

Shooting down the main number could be a problem for automated payment of monthly services or that kind of things, of course you don't have those on every card... (some on any)

JS

joaquins said:
  Oh, of course I choose an SSL over telling it to somebody, that idea of spelling the number to somebody else is ridiculous, worst case they could be just a telemarketer selling/using CC numbers on the side, nothing to do with the method of communications with them. The problem with SSL is they still rely on CC number, unlike the chip on card (CoC) Technology that's been around for ages (~20+y?) but only now started to be used for CC.

I do like the temporary number option for dubious transactions, I don't know if I have that option on mine. Good thing of CoC is the direct communication between the company and the card and the double encrypted  transaction, even sniffing out the transaction doesn't make the data available without the encryption key, The mag strip is just the data written on the card in a way easy to read to the machine, doesn't imply any safety whatsoever, more like the oposite, making it easier to copy with simple device.

Shooting down the main number could be a problem for automated payment of monthly services or that kind of things, of course you don't have those on every card... (some on any)

JS
They already got that sorted... recurring payments get approved like normal, only new transactions get stopped.

JR

JohnRoberts said:

======

JR

Maybe you could tell the Peavy Repair Parts department to do it this way, because they only accept CC #'s over the phone.  ;D

> accept card numbers over the telephone

Went out to eat yesterday. Fancy place, cloth napkins! Dropped my VISA on the waiter, he was gone long enough to scan both sides and post to a card-info auction site. Yeah, couple minutes, but while waiting I took two pictures and could have posted them to wherever people post pictures.

Couple times a year (just as I start to memorize the numbers) VISA calls and says the card is hacked, new cards in the mail.

I rank it with losing my wallet or my checkbook. Except the money is never blowing down the street, and the CC companies -tend- to side with the bill payer. Be careful, stuff happens.

Info can apparently, sit on machines for months making it hard to know where it got hacked
the  " algorithm " my CC company uses detected someone trying to make a small 2 .00 purchase to see if the numbers were good
and then immediately  tried to make a multi hundred dollar purchase which got rejected 
and in another country at a home hardware store.

okgb said:
Info can apparently, sit on machines for months making it hard to know where it got hacked
the  " algorithm " my CC company uses detected someone trying to make a small 2 .00 purchase to see if the numbers were good
and then immediately  tried to make a multi hundred dollar purchase which got rejected 
and in another country at a home hardware store.
It is an ongoing contest between card security and crooks.

I just read an article about a new HP computer platform (not available yet, waiting on memory chips that wont be available until 2018) That will be able to compare some 100k recent card transactions to over a year of transaction history to ID suspicious transactions. Current computer technology can only go back days and compares less current data.

JR

Latest posts

Back