strange power peaks overloading monitor speakers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniTonmann

Hello everybody,

i hope this is a good place for my problem :)
I have a pair of Genelec S30 connected with a power strip along with a fancy salt lamp, the whole thing is plugged into a remote controlled socket. This setup worked flawlessly for about one year. Since a few days, at first the lamp began to flicker now and then, then the speakers will accordingly, like in a one second interval, buzz slightly and show an overload/clipping (the short buzz sound is rather quiet though). Eventually, the intervals increase and it goes until the whole thing shuts itsself down (probably by the remote socket?). What i did: i replaced the remote socket with another one - same problem. I switched the speakers and the lamp off alternately - the problem persists.
Does anyone have an idea what (device) could cause such an effect ? I am - obviously - a layman in electrics or electronics, any help is highly appreciated ! (could make a video of the scenario if neccessary ;) )

It kind of difficult without seeing the set up to work out exactly the problem .
One thing I do know about those salt lamps ,the salt crystal tends to absorb moisture ,If its left off for a time it can actually weep a mix of salt and water which will be conductive . Maybe some of this brine solution has made its way into the bulb fitting and cable/switch and that could be causing a partial short . Repeat your experiment ,but instead of just switching off the lamp ,plug it out completely from the mains supply, if your issue disappears you've found the culprit . With your speakers switched off ,its probably  fair to assume thats not the issue . Id also check the rating of the remote switch ,maybe the inrush current of both speakers switching on at the same time has caused sparking on the relay contacts  and you have a poor contact there.

Process of elimination. You may have a bad power strip, bad wall socket, a bad power circuit in the building,  or any of the other pieces of the puzzle.

Check the speakers elsewhere (on another power circuit), with and without the remote control, with and without the salt lamp, and so on. You will soon figure it out. My money is on the power strip, probably a loose fuse, socket pin or wire terminal.

Thanks a lot for your replies !

I eleminated the salt lamp and the remote socket(s)...i've never had a bad power strip or socket, but will try them next.
The circuit in the building...oh i hope not...weird is that it began out of nothing.

Here is a short video, pretty noisy cam, but when you turn it up you can hear the "spark" sound from the speakers:

http://sendvid.com/9hex9wn5

I didn't bother watching the video but most speakers and some lights aren't supposed to be connected to a dimmer.

The socket is a dimmer??  :eek:

Seems like efinque also didn't bother to read the post - a dimmer was never involved  ::)  :D

However, i found it, more or less - it actually seems to be a bad strip or socket (can't find out cause it's behind the absorber), tried another socket and another strip and et voila - it's gone. It's still a mystery to me though how a pure, solid mechanical device can cause a regular interval spike like that  :eek:

Thanks again !

ToniTonmann said:
It's still a mystery to me though how a pure, solid mechanical device can cause a regular interval spike like that  :eek:

I think certain strips have components in them. Who knows what happens but, I've seen my share of goofy ones as well as ones that just quit working......

Outlets and or the wiring that connects to them can go bad from excessive heat, age, arcing, being loose and stuff like that.... Nothing is off limits to failures in the electronics world... It's pretty powerful stuff especially when dealing with line voltages from the service.....

Good thing it wasn't something else like your converter or equipment .....

Definitely find out what went goofy on you though.... Don't need some faulty strip or funky outlet hiding behind stuff.....

Interval related problems makes me think capacitor aging problems. Are those speakers 20+ years old? Did you see if they work on another mains leg?  Or check the plate amp for bulging caps

guavatone said:
Interval related problems makes me think capacitor aging problems. Are those speakers 20+ years old? Did you see if they work on another mains leg?  Or check the plate amp for bulging caps

I thought the same thing when op was describing the issue but, I guess switching to a different outlet cured the problem.  Both speakers doing it at the same time as well made me suspect of converter or interface.......
I have seen a couple of threads on the Genelecs getting whacky for sure......
But I guess the problem is cured....

ToniTonmann said:
............. It's still a mystery to me though how a pure, solid mechanical device can cause a regular interval spike like that  :eek:

The strip may have a surge suppressing  component called MOV (metal oxide varistor) which might be faulty and (occasionally) can be the source of such problem.

Back