PC building

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is not actually running XP, its is just a lookalike desktop but you can run windows programs on the Pi using box86 plus |wine.

Cheers

Ian

I have an Rpi 4 that I use as my daily driver desktop. It's got 4 2TB hard drives (ZFS RAID pack) and a 500GB SSD strapped to it, and running Manjaro KDE. Despite also running my Plex server for video streaming around the house it still barely breaks a sweat. Love it.

I do have a big box home made Windows 10 PC that I use for games and video editing as it has a semi-decent nVidia GPU in it, and an 8th gen i5 laptop that I use as my main PC (also running Manjaro KDE) for heavier usage (the Pi takes forever to compile some things, and some just plain don't run on Arm, like the Microchip compilers etc although there are ways around that thanks to qemu), but the Pi is what I always have there at my fingertips while I'm working...

I just wish I could get the 8GB version, but they're like unicorn poo at the moment...

I have been using Intel NUC that's loaded with a 6W TDP CPU for the past 2 years which has cut down my electricity bills by a lot, and I have designed plenty of 3D enclosures with Solidworks 2014 64 bit installed in the system with just 2GB of RAM because I sold the 8GB that it came with for a quick buck. I wouldn't be able to do this with a Pi.

Latest posts

Back