substituting 5703 for ac701

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfilter

I've been rebuilding a couple Hungarian 221b amplifiers and now they work but there's a lot of hiss, which I think is due to bad ac701's. Has anyone tried a 5703 as a direct substitution?

AC701

Thanks!

Michael

I haven't tried it as a substitute, but I have built mics based on one of: 5702, 5703, 5744, and 5840. You will need to adjust the heater voltage up to 6.3V for it to work properly. These tubes are hissy when underheated (the ac701 is a 4V filament). You may need to go through about 5 or 10 tubes to find one that will work properly. It will work, but the performance isn't going to be exact - but a working 5703 would be better than a non-working anything.

Sorry, meant to say direct substitution except for the heater voltage.

Will the performance really be worse, and why? Is there something really magical about the ac701? It seems like finding a decent ac701 isnt going to be easy even if I shell out the money....

The AC701 was made by Telefunken - so it's automatically magical and better than everything else :wink:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

The AC701 is one of the few tubes that were actually designed for microphones. The only other that I know of that was specifically designed for mics is the VF14.

So yes, there is something magical about it.

JAkob E.

Back