Success story: Repairing a strange tube microphone!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Success story: Repairing a strange tube microphone.

A woman close to me asked me to repair this yellow tube microphone! Who could say no? It's super urgent again, of course, so I took care of it straight away.

A first visual inspection amazes me, the design of the microphone is really unusual. It has a relatively wide head basket and is probably intended for very wide or very slim sound sources, depending on how you mount it. The color is a bit unusual, I wouldn't use it in my studio. But tastes are different...

20240503_094122.jpg

What's really stupid is that the usual accessories like pop shields don't fit, the thing doesn't even have a tripod thread. What's the point? Once again, the product design&marketing department has outdone itself...

The first function test showed that the thing does nothing, niente, nada, nüscht!

I think I need to throw my cape over and fire up the soldering iron - looks like a job for me. Let's go! (y)

20240503_094401.jpg

I've never seen a microphone with so many body screws, needless to say there are no schematics on the manufacturer's website - they'd rather spend their money on their design- and marketing departments. Kärcher, never heard of it - note the fake german umlaut.😅

Lets open it. No problem for a well-stocked workshop, Lidl recently sold a bit set with the most exotic shapes you can imagine. I love Parkside!

20240503_094447.jpg

A little fun fact - the head basket is detachable, just like the expensive vintage models - marketing knows no bounds...the container for collecting the singers' spit can also be removed. Not bad!

Now it's getting exciting - let's finally open the mic!

20240503_094918.jpg

What is that? That's not a tube microphone at all? I can't see a single tube, unbelievable.:mad:

Not even a starving fake tube with LED lighting, nothing! The greed for money in the pro audio sector knows no limits - whom can you still trust?

After the initial shock of this nasty scam, I took a closer look at the microphone. It is battery-buffered(!) and most of the components are SMT.

20240503_095300.jpg

The capsule, or rather the transducer, was unknown to me at first, but a closer look reveals the transducer principle. It is an air-driven, motorized capsule. The air flowing out when singing drives the rotor, which in turn moves the motor. The more air hits the rotor, the louder the signal becomes. Brilliant - I could have thought of that!(y)

20240503_094930.jpg

But the problem remains, this microphone is dead as a doornail. The dedicated power supply seems to work, note the low voltage, this is the reason why phantom power does not work here, because the power consumption is too high. This is due to the motor-driven transducer!

20240503_094258.jpg

I think I know why the microphone no longer works, I have a feeling!:geek:

The answer will follow in the second part!

Okay, I think most of you ( 😂 ) have already realized that I'm joking.

What's the problem here?

An intensive examination of the charging electronics and the general condition of my skylights suggests that I haven't used it for a very very long time and the battery is completely discharged.

20240503_073236.jpg

The chip responsible for charging thinks the battery is not present or even dead and therefore does not start the charging process - game over.

The game is long over for this insect too...RIP

20240617_153538.jpg

What is the solution?

I did some googling and tried to charge the battery with my lab power supply. Carefully with 4 volts and the current limiter set to 25% of the mAh rating of the battery.

20240617_130237.jpg

20240617_130107.jpg

This allowed me to generate enough residual voltage in the battery for the charging electronics to recognize and charge it again. Success - this is rewarded with window cleaning! Great...😬

Success story: Repairing a strange tube microphone.

A woman close to me asked me to repair this yellow tube microphone! Who could say no? It's super urgent again, of course, so I took care of it straight away.

A first visual inspection amazes me, the design of the microphone is really unusual. It has a relatively wide head basket and is probably intended for very wide or very slim sound sources, depending on how you mount it. The color is a bit unusual, I wouldn't use it in my studio. But tastes are different...

View attachment 130783

What's really stupid is that the usual accessories like pop shields don't fit, the thing doesn't even have a tripod thread. What's the point? Once again, the product design&marketing department has outdone itself...

The first function test showed that the thing does nothing, niente, nada, nüscht!

I think I need to throw my cape over and fire up the soldering iron - looks like a job for me. Let's go! (y)

View attachment 130784

I've never seen a microphone with so many body screws, needless to say there are no schematics on the manufacturer's website - they'd rather spend their money on their design- and marketing departments. Kärcher, never heard of it - note the fake german umlaut.😅

Lets open it. No problem for a well-stocked workshop, Lidl recently sold a bit set with the most exotic shapes you can imagine. I love Parkside!

View attachment 130785

A little fun fact - the head basket is detachable, just like the expensive vintage models - marketing knows no bounds...the container for collecting the singers' spit can also be removed. Not bad!

Now it's getting exciting - let's finally open the mic!

View attachment 130786

What is that? That's not a tube microphone at all? I can't see a single tube, unbelievable.:mad:

Not even a starving fake tube with LED lighting, nothing! The greed for money in the pro audio sector knows no limits - whom can you still trust?

After the initial shock of this nasty scam, I took a closer look at the microphone. It is battery-buffered(!) and most of the components are SMT.

View attachment 130791

The capsule, or rather the transducer, was unknown to me at first, but a closer look reveals the transducer principle. It is an air-driven, motorized capsule. The air flowing out when singing drives the rotor, which in turn moves the motor. The more air hits the rotor, the louder the signal becomes. Brilliant - I could have thought of that!(y)

View attachment 130792

But the problem remains, this microphone is dead as a doornail. The dedicated power supply seems to work, note the low voltage, this is the reason why phantom power does not work here, because the power consumption is too high. This is due to the motor-driven transducer!

View attachment 130793

I think I know why the microphone no longer works, I have a feeling!:geek:

The answer will follow in the second part!

Well that SUCKS... Or actually, not even that...

I thought about this experience again last night and I guess it happens quite often. In most households, such devices are thrown away and then simply bought new. It's actually madness that a design flaw (or is that intentional?) allows such products to "destroy" themselves.

I then spoke to another friend on the phone who had exactly the same experience, also with her children's expensive toys (e.g. RC cars).

Non-use over months (not years!) makes the devices de facto unusable. In most cases, the affected products are glued/welded together or you need special tools to open them, which makes the repair even more impossible for many. Absurd!

BMS or battery management systems are there for a reason , but all too often Ive seen a situation where a low discharge voltage prevents the system charger working .
I have an RC hobby style charger which provides a mode dedicated to LIPO cells , a JST connector on the cell pack allows balanced cell charge/discharge , which is the best way to do it .

Some devices have a lock-out in memory inside the battery ,
Devices like the Dyson cordless vaccum cleaners have a five pin header on the battery PCB ,
a few people online have used a pic programmer to reset the battery pack .

Lipo's can malfunction in catastrophic fashion , the better chargers incorporate a heat sensor so that in the event of heat build up in one of the cells the charge is aborted automatically .

If you want to see the destructive force of a lipo cell malfunction , take a cell from a disposable vape , recharge it , then take it outside , place it well away from anything thats likely to catch fire , on concrete or a small sheet of aluminium , pierce the plastic film and the thing will readily combust white hot .

I think almost all battery devices are like that...

I've revived many by brute force charging the cells with a lab supply. Frankly, it's nothing new and it was worse before. I remember a US "police" flashlight I owned (MagLite brand). The most solid alu I ever saw. I literally used it to hammer nails into the wall. Very bright light. Only, the charging circuit consisted of a transformer, one diode and one resistor.

That flashlight ate expensive rechargeable non-standard batteries...

Back