Suggestions needed for Condenser mic {DIY} for live vocals..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Hi soon I would like to make a condenser mic for using live I have couple of really old 1940s mics I wanna build something to put in one of the cases.

My goal is to match the sound of Bet 87 but have the look of the 40s 50s super cardiod for less feedback.

Was thinking of buying cheap hand held condenser Superlux do on e for 30 & there top one is 60 pounds & maybe biuld the mic amp part ....maybe KM 84 circuit.

Dont mind making a PSU or can I use phantom power??

does it matter if capsule is electret ??

Oh & transformers do I need one ? I have a nice sowter 9045 & six others
what sort of ratio do mics need I read its about 1:5 to 1:10 is that right ? some of mine are higher one is 1:25

I could really go to town build Ela M250 circuit & PSU use big fat Sowter 9045 transformer I already have, use the case of cheap T bone RB500 ribbon & best dam capsule I can find.

I wonder what is the best capsule.. super card for live use, neumann I spose from there KMS 105....it has a classic neumann capsule in it adapted for super card I hear..I read somewhere the Sennheiser E865 is good & close to neumann & much cheaper.

I'd maybe start with the capsule and work from there; you might want a tight pattern and good feedback rejection.

IIRC, Oktava use the MK012 capsule in their live condenser mic. Not sure about the performance though since I've never used one.

Yeah thought of the Octava, never seen it used for live vocal tho, I wonder how much just a hyper or super capsule is ..I want to DIY as much as poss to get best sound & to save money.Tho I dont mind buying a whole mic to disect & improve.

I have a solid tubes cardiod electret capsule dont no if I can make it super card also have a CK1 capsule or ther bits include U66 solit tube OP tran and some old dynamic mic transformers inc a SH55

Latest posts

Back