suggestions needed....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

looking for the easiest way to have a portable playback device that has balanced outputs at at nominal +4dBu. Does such a device exist?  I am sure there are rack mount unit cd players and that ilk that have analog  balanced outputs and such but wondering if there is anything smaller and more portable,  perhaps something with an SD card and something  on the inexpensive.  I have looked at the portable handheld recorders by zoom and the like but none of them have a balanced out.
any suggestions?

pucho812 said:
looking for the easiest way to have a portable playback device that has balanced outputs at at nominal +4dBu. Does such a device exist?  I am sure there are rack mount unit cd players and that ilk that have analog  balanced outputs and such but wondering if there is anything smaller and more portable,  perhaps something with an SD card and something  on the inexpensive.  I have looked at the portable handheld recorders by zoom and the like but none of them have a balanced out.
any suggestions?
You can make them impedance balanced by adding a resistor...  Unless you are driving 600 ohms or hundreds of feet of wire, that should work.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You can make them impedance balanced by adding a resistor...  Unless you are driving 600 ohms or hundreds of feet of wire, that should work.

JR

ah yes i wasn't even thinking of doing it that way. but great suggestion. 

iPod (etc) headphone jack to a 32:600 transformer puts you very close to +4dBm nominal (+20dBm peak). May come up a few dB shy.

PRR said:
iPod (etc) headphone jack to a 32:600 transformer puts you very close to +4dBm nominal (+20dBm peak). May come up a few dB shy.
I'll see what we have in the parts bins...

Gold said:
What about an iOS interface that has balanced outs?
That would work with the laptop for sure, maybe a half rack version... But trying to have it all self contained.

I'm sure you know this but iOS is for an iPhone or iPad. A lot of people have an iPhone on them anyway.

pucho812 said:
looking for the easiest way to have a portable playback device that has balanced outputs at at nominal +4dBu.

What is the intended use?

All of the live guys plug iPhones/iPods/iPads into console line inputs using the usual ⅛" TRS-to-two-¼" TS plug Y cables, and it just works.

-a

Andy Peters said:
pucho812 said:
looking for the easiest way to have a portable playback device that has balanced outputs at at nominal +4dBu.

What is the intended use?

All of the live guys plug iPhones/iPods/iPads into console line inputs using the usual ⅛" TRS-to-two-¼" TS plug Y cables, and it just works.

-a

I changed benches recently and am working for a new audio company. At  Trident, on my repair  bench next to the ap(system one) we had a computer with  an audio interface. This allowed me to play test loops of drums, etc, etc on  any repaired equipment. I am looking for a means to implement a similar setup. Yes I could go 1/8" to duel xlr or 1/4" but I need the  Nominal  +4dBulevel so I can get units like say a compressor, to compress. I have an ap(portable one) on the bench at all times at the new place but want program material as well.   

Yes paul, seems to be at this point the least expensive option is a used aphex 124A that I found locally. It will do I/O of -10dBV to +4dBu. So looks like I am picking that up.

The iOS devices with a lightning connector are USB compliant. If you already have a USB interface a USB to lightning connector will probably work.

deleted the last post.... current update. A 1k -14dBFS sine wave file out the i-phone measures at -12dBu on the ap....  This is with a 1/8" to duel xlr Ω balanced cable. I am picking up the aphex today which will take care of  the level issues...

Hi Pucho if you have an iPAD this are really good solutions:

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/io-dock-ii

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/iS202/p/P0AJQ

They're  iPad's docking stations with stereo balanced outputs. I used it and it works pretty well.

Other cheap an easy options are using and ipod feeding one of this boxes (one is active the other passive):

http://artproaudio.com/isolators/product/cleanbox_pro/

http://artproaudio.com/isolators/product/dti/

Back