Suggestions on a small mixer PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KasperNyhus

Hi all you clever people

I know similar topics might have been discussed earlier, and I have learned a lot by reading through them but I still need some advise regarding my specific project

So I building an 8ch sidecar'ish mixer with basically 8 312style pres with a NE5534 for HPF, a fader section with another 2520 DOA, a 12 slot 51x rack and some summing with 5532 and 2520.

My current math looks like this: (the numbers should be with a safe max current draw situation)

from a +16v regulated supply
Pre      8x 80mA    =  640mA
Fader    8X80mA    =  640mA
Sum    4x80mA    =  320mA
500      12x110mA = 1.320mA
Total 2.920mA pr supply side (+ and -)

I have measured the pre to draw about 50mA at max gain setting, the other numbers are guesses

My first thought was to make a 4 rail +-16v supply with LM317/337 and divide the current draw to the "pre/fader" and "sum/500", but that might be a little tight with only 1.5A max?

Then I thought about making a 3A supply with the LM350 as in the GDIY51x PSU but then I would need 4 sec windings on the trafo to make 4 rails, right? or two seperate trafos (takes up a lot of space...)

My next thought was to apply a booster power transistor to the 4 rail LM317/337 circuit

But I'm kind of lost what to choose here

I'm also building a +-24v supply for the 12ch 51x rack, a 48v supply and a 5v something supply for about 80 push switch LEDs, all to be fitted in the same 2U PSU rack case.

I want the PSU to be beefy and stable enough that I dont have to ever worry about it, and since its a complete DIY project some possibility of expanding with  extra channels in the future would be nice too.

Let me know if any of you have some comments or suggestions on what to choose

Thanks!  :D

Back