sw#2 for La-2a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I got one of my orders in from Mouser, and most of the MFR I ordered are all 1%....I wanted 5% but I guess it will work...I was trying to stick close to the 68 schematic...but Im pretty OCD, and not sure if I can take it...Think I might try sourcing the 5% ones just to make myself happy....

Dont bother if its 1 or 5 %, its just tighter tolerance.

The original used carbon comp resistors so if you want vintage hiss/noise  go for that instead of
metal film...  ;)

Seriously, dont worry!

Cool...well im not to stressed about the build...Just started the layout process of the turrets...its pretty hard to get the turrets into the board.... Im gonna use the caps and resistors I currently have...carbon comps and MFR's..... Im excited but the turrets are so dang hard

So I need some opinions on what chassis I should get?

1) the 3u rack enclosure from tubetown
http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/product_info.php/info/p3768_19--housing-3U-rackmount.html

2) par metal chassis

3) Hammond Mfg chassis

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/10082-chassis-steel-panel-gray-5-525dgy2.html

Drilling and cutting is a little harder to do because it's steel.

The Par metal minimum case is 8" deep, which the 3U chassis is exactly what cases I'm using at the moment to finish up my Drip Version 2 PCBS. IMO it would work, but would have a massive amount of dead air space, honestly enough for 2 La2A's. I'm not sure how these Hammond's come apart, and obviously the reason for the front down approach for the original LA2A and the Sta-level was workability inside the shallow area, where the ease of size and breakdown of a par metal case would come in handy.

If your in no hurry it looks like there is a few chaps looking to make a more realistic enclosure for point to point versions.

Kaz

Its a hard decision...I found a guy I am emailing about a custom chassis....Thing is, I need the inside depth to be 4 to 5 inches...3 inches is cutting it to close for me...I got my board built yesterday, with most of the parts installed on it... still waiting on more parts!

Next batch of parts just came in...Pots and ceramic disc caps...chassis is from par metal custom...super nice..transformers will be here in a few days....

OK update!!

I got my par metal chassis in...They did not paint the aluminum face plate, even though I requested it...

Started some milling tonight to get the face plate set up...Have the component lay out on masking tape...

INTERESTING TID BIT

I got my sowter irons in...I was impressed with them from the start, BUT the iron is set up to have more bandwidth,...and no 250 ohm section on the primary...and the secondary has no ground back into the core from #10...

SO essentially, there is NO 2 or 5 on the primary and NO 8 and 9 on the secondary...

Aluminum is hard to work with...

Latest posts

Back