Switch Wiring Cheat Sheet?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

I'm trying to work out how to do some slightly fancy switching using two 4PDT switches for a guitar pedal, & I'm struggling a bit. I seem to recall some sort of picture or document being posted on the list that illustrated a few different switch wiring strategies, but I don't even know where to begin to look for it. Can anyone point me to something here or elsewhere that covers this sort of thing?

I'm trying to work out how to do some slightly fancy switching using two 4PDT switches for a guitar pedal, & I'm struggling a bit. I seem to recall some sort of picture or document being posted on the list that illustrated a few different switch wiring strategies, but I don't even know where to begin to look for it. Can anyone point me to something here or elsewhere that covers this sort of thing?
guitars are my thing🥸. what are you wanting to acheive. i have built guitars with two humbucers and a 5 position strat type switch. pos 1 pu 1, pos 2 pu 1&2, pos 3 pu 3, pos 4 pu1 single coil, pos 5 pu1 single coil & pu 2. you can also add other otions with push pull pots such as series parralel or anti phase. give me clue what you want and i will try my best to work it out for you.

guitars are my thing🥸. what are you wanting to acheive. i have built guitars with two humbucers and a 5 position strat type switch. pos 1 pu 1, pos 2 pu 1&2, pos 3 pu 3, pos 4 pu1 single coil, pos 5 pu1 single coil & pu 2. you can also add other otions with push pull pots such as series parralel or anti phase. give me clue what you want and i will try my best to work it out for you.
like this IMG_20231001_000031.jpg

Which doesn't tell what you want to achieve.
Ther are many ways for wiring a switch, that depend mainly of what type of selection you want to make.
Also, the type of switch can make a difference. Is it a toggle switch or a rotary?

a couple of pics from a bok i have hey may give you some ideasIMG_20231001_102518.jpg

IMG_20231001_102417.jpg

IMG_20231001_102402.jpg

hope this helps mate.

I like kind of a truth table method.
Start with the output results or the input choices. Either way you are programming inputs and outcomes into the fixed possibilities of the switch. Sometimes a position’s contacts might only have interlinking, yet route a different state. Here the NC contacts are your friends.
Mike

so what are you actually hoping to acheive with these switches i guess they are push types as you mentioned peddle (stomp box?).

so what are you actually hoping to acheive with these switches
I'm trying to get the most out of a very simple distortion circuit without any major alterations to the circuit (ie, no additional semiconductors.) I think I've got it sorted for now. All that's left is to build it & see if it works the way I'm envisioning it working.

Back