Tascam DA-30 MKII DAT Machine Repair FIXED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkster

I've been working on a Tascam DA-30 MKII that I acquired some time ago and have just gotten around to going thru it so I can use it to transfer old tapes.
Transport didn't load tape, I replaced the belts and now the transport works fine.
The problem now is that the analog output is distorted and noisy when either playing back tapes or recording.
I can hear the audio thru the noise.
When I use the spdif or other digital outputs(into DAW) it sounds great... the analog out doesn't work properly.
Sometimes if I switch it into "LONG" mode(32khz sample rate) the noise goes away but not always, it's always noisy at 44.1khz and 48khz.
I've checked voltages at the supply and on various point on the boards and they are good.
I have some decent test gear, my tek scope only goes to 60 MHz but that should be enough to service this unit.
I am not familiar with what sort of waveforms I should see where and under what conditions in this sort of device so any help or insight into that would be great.
Thanks
Kevin

Got it!
After chasing fs around between boards with my scope meter and seeing a 44.1khz clock that resembled a fuzzy cat more than a clock signal I eventually traced the issue to a faulty via that supplies 5V to the 256 fs buffer or U6 for those of you playing along at home.
I danced a little jig when I remedied the problem!!!!

Latest posts

Back