Telefunken V672 a/2 pics and questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cletus monroe

Hello all,
I'm hoping someone with some experience with Telefunken V672 a/2 modules can help me out. I bought one Pre and the PS off ebay and when I got it said, "What is that heavy rattling in their when I shift the pre side to side?". Well, a transformer whose plastic housing had busted. I don't need a second line out. Can I just remove the transformer and I'm good? Or will I need to then modify the pre's circuit? Below are some pics. I bought a 3 U rack case to mount both the PS and the Pre. The PS is just to darn cool looking to have hidden behind a rack.

Here is a link to the pics.

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

Thanks for any help with this matter.
Cletus Monroe

Thanks silent:arts! I was able to find a capacitor value for a damaged
.47uf (c16 to be exact) and replace it with a spare using your service manual. It looks as though the damaged transformer is the first output, not the second. Have you wired your unit(s) with both outputs? If so, does
the second transformer out sound any different to your ears than the first?
It seems as though they are just mirrored so should be the same.
Thanks again for your time,
Cletus

you should recap all marked caps:
V672a_2recap.jpg

this brand is a nightmare and drys out fast. when they haven't been powered up for a while they will fale after a few days.

the "broken" output transformer doesn't look so much dameged, the cables looking good. have you tried if it's still working ? if it works just bring the transformer back to it's place and glue it to the PCB.

yes, the output transformers are different. nr1 is in a mu metal case, nr two was an option and has no mu metal shielding. don't know if there is any difference sound wise.

infact i was wondering what should i do with my lawo 975 card that have those same maroon caps..
BTW, what brand/type of caps would you suggest here?

sorry and yes, I mean that series (nothing's wrong with the brand Roedestein).
but this series, hey they can sound fantastic: plop, plop, plop :green:

Samuel, CJ did a hack with the V672 input iron some month ago. Have a look over here:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10348&highlight=5223

Once again I appreciate the tip. You even "play by played" it in the picture!
I'm definitely going to switch out those caps.
Pics will follow in a month or so!
Take care,
Clay

Latest posts

Back