THAT1646 on a single supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

I have + 24V and i need to power a THAT1646 ....what would be the best way?? to get the 1646 to work?
At some point i have +18V and tought about using this on a single supply...

Jorge Aristondo.

in a single supply circuit you make the bias voltage from a voltage divider in between V+ and ground.

Even a guitar pedal brewing pot head like me knows that  ;)

good luck,

Thomas

You've built BabyAnimal mic preamps right? Look at that schematic. It shows the voltage divider and the 1/2 rail bias fed to both inputs of the opamp.

thanks in reality just wanted to make sure that the 1646 would work on a single supply!
Thanks Skip thats a clear example indeed.

just wanted to wake this thread by post this circuit i found by Wayne.
Thanks.
THAT1646_Single_Supply.jpg

Not sure I understand why Wayne used an opamp as an active buffer for that biasing on pin 3 of the THAT ic.  I suppose he wanted a low impedance source but I think the input impedance is low enough on pin 3 of the THAT IC that a simple decoupled resistor divider would suffice.  Use around 4k7 up to 10k instead of the 100k resistors, tie that to pin 3 of the THAT IC (get rid of U2A) and remove R2/C4.

The other possible solution is to connect the part to the 24v rail and ground but AC couple all I/O through capacitors.  C1, C2, C3 are already coupled.  Try removing everything connected to pin 3 of the THAT IC except R2/C4 and make C4 something large like 100uf.  The part should self bias around half rail (12V) as long as there is no other DC connection.  This is, however, guessing since I don't know the part at all but I've done it with other diff amps with no problems.

From a quick glance at the part http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1600data.pdf there are internal feedback path resistors looking for a low impedance ground at that "ground" input. Clearly designed for bipolar operation.

JR

Latest posts

Back