The capitol police are coming

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going after online people who make threats to congressional members? Some times in the form of critique of their accomplishments?

Sounds like a jurisdictional issue. If someone is harmed or threatened with respect to their workplace, then I would think the workplace jurisdiction applies because the employer might act as the plaintiff or at least has a strong interest in the case. This might be especially true for congress persons where there could be special law that pertains to politically motivated crimes or crimes that are designed to interfere with the legislative process.

Yes but other government agencies oversee that action, or at least are supposed to. The capitol police as far as I know are regulated to the capitol, well at least they have been in the past. This is different from any other government agency or even the D.C. police. So I am not sure if something is up or not or what their end game is?

when government gets bigger, everything government gets bigger...

JR

PS: Crony capitalism used to be big business working with big government to make mo money. Now its big government working with big business to do things the constitution wouldn't allow them to do (like suppressing speech).

Yes but other government agencies oversee that action, or at least are supposed to. The capitol police as far as I know are regulated to the capitol, well at least they have been in the past. This is different from any other government agency or even the D.C. police. So I am not sure if something is up or not or what their end game is?
The capitol police are the police for the capitol which is where congress persons work so it kinda makes sense to me that they would be first in line to investigate crimes against people working in the capitol. If it's .gov work related it's not obviously DC police. Unless there's something about the crime that crosses state lines, it's not obviously federal / FBI. But in practice cases get moved to different jurisdictions for all sorts of reasons.

The capitol police are the police for the capitol which is where congress persons work so it kinda makes sense to me that they would be first in line to investigate crimes against people working in the capitol. If it's .gov work related it's not obviously DC police. Unless there's something about the crime that crosses state lines, it's not obviously federal / FBI. But in practice cases get moved to different jurisdictions for all sorts of reasons.
I get that, but clearly if they are opening offices in CA and Florida, wouldn't that be crossed state lines? which would include the FBI, DOJ and even homeland security to look into it. I don't doubt they have reason for doing so, I just doubt if they legally can do so and what their end goal is. opening offices in both California and Florida to me reads like there was a problem in Wisconsin so the Wisconsin state police are opening up an office in Oregon and Georgia because some of the people who caused that problem live there. It doesn't make sense to me.

This might be especially true for congress persons where there could be special law that pertains to politically motivated crimes
Secret service?

Expanding security forces surely requires bipartisan approval. Perhaps such laws do not mention the Capitol Police.

Last edited:
If a crime occurs on federal property is it automatically under federal jurisdiction? I’m asking. I don’t know.

Federal jurisdiction is pretty much anywhere. A federal crime is related to breaking a federal statute (written federal law). There is a lot of overlap/duplication where federal laws cover local crimes also. This is sometimes used when local prosecutors decline to enforce laws they should (like trying to burn down a court house).

I have seen some TV skits about federal property NOT being within state jurisdiction so state laws are not enforceable there, but I am not a lawyer so offer no legal opinion. Could just be Hollywood mumbo jumbo.

JR

Latest posts

Back