The F-1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made in maine

Hi everyone,
My name is Steven and i've been reading these post for quite some time, I have to say that there are some brilliant minds in this place and I have learned more here than all those collage courses I spent to much money on. Like most of you all I have been playing and recording music for a long time now and just love everything about it.  about 14 years ago I decided to learn another trade so i could play music and not worry about the money/living part of this whole thing(like most of you). Maine has some incredible gemstones and i've been a rockhound since I was a young boy so it made sense to learn jewelry/gem cutting/gemology (so I could play music).  about 3 or four years ago I was reading a post about microphones on the forum and someone had said "the world needs more microphone makers" and something clicked !(who ever wrote this thank you :))
from that point on my spare time I started making microphones and for a while they all sounded like chiz, krap, mud, but I'm a gemcutter and I knew it would take a while and the one thing I have is tenacity, so i kept making them until they sounded good.  I mean I went as far as making alloys for tranny laminations, learning cnc and messing around with titanium and berylium based alloys with a host of different metals
for ribbon material and condenser material. blah,blah blah
I wanted to share with you guys my first good mic, the f-1 velocity mic, I  have since designed four other microphones, (2 ribbons, one dynamic and one condenser) but i figure i'll start with the f-1. So here it is, its not your normal looking mic for sure, all hand made in house, please all feedback is encouraged, the good, the bad and the ugly... thank you!!

Attachments

• selo-f-1-standing-jpg copy.jpg
    selo-f-1-standing-jpg copy.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 184
Wow! Quite a different look!
Let me be the first who ask for guts shoots as around here people like to take a peek under the hood you know...?

Axel

Wooohoo!
This is surely a different looking microphone!
It's bound to find some use in some "niche" studio.
Now, did you make the capsule and stuff too?
What's inside?

Beryllium?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium

Toxicity is toward the bottom of the link

That's a very interesting and different looking microphone.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

Thanks,
Michael

It sounds great!, of course on guitars, also for nice silky vocals and just about anything so far, I do have some testing gear and working on some plots so I should have data like that also..
Thanks for all the nice comments!! its got a nice long ribbon and some strong ass magnets and also matched very well to the transformer for loading sake, i'll post some pics soon I have to dig thru some flash cards and also i'll post some audio as soon as I can.
one of the newest mics i'm workin on has a hollowed out stone base where the tranny goes, and the ribbon assembaly is floating so it eleminates the need for a stinkin shock mount.. and  I have since the beginning of my jewelry/metal career guarrenteed everything I make for as long as I'm alive, and I feel like theres no need to stop at jewelry, this is a mic made in the U.S.A. all of it, imagine that!! and also about 30% percent post consumer materials.. so it's a friendly mic for the fish and birdies and helps out fellow musicians, imagine that!

thanks again,  p.s. thanks Gus for the concern I only use very, very, small percentages of berylium and have a vent hood, something around 1% it does great things for metal, silver, copper ect..........
thanks again everyone!!

Latest posts

Back