Greetings from the Forested Hills of Queens, New York

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killgill

Sorry, I just saw the rolling hills of upstate ny below and couldn't resist because I live in Forest Hills, Queens.

I am a software engineer by trade, a mechanical engineer by education, and a former electrical engineering enthusiast. I like my job, but I also like building physical shit, I love music, I like playing the piano and bass, and I love singing (and am actually good at it unlike most of the other things on this list), so building DIY speakers and mics and amps and so on seemed like it would be a fun hobby to pick up and dabble with. It combines so many of the things that I love, and should give me opportunities to learn new and interesting things.

On the subject of new and interesting things, I'm particularly keen to learn about signal processing. I took EE classes until Circuit Analysis in college, so while I have a rudimentary idea of how circuits work, it's very much limited to mesh/nodal analysis of small systems with <20x20 matrices and I have only the barest smattering of context and knowledge for transistors, semiconductor physics, amplifiers, DC circuits etc etc etc, but I'm excited to learn, and I think given that the context in which I'm learning this things is for DIY audio stuff, I think I'll find it easy to stay engaged and not get too lost in theory (and I do remember how filters work, so I've got that going for me).

Latest posts

Back