The Lab/TechTalk - first annual convention site selection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any pilots on board here?
I got a friend who fly's for United.
Viet Nam chopper pilot.

The war spaced him out.
Sometimes he has blank spells.

I asked him if if he thought this was dangerous.
He said "Naw, when I think I'm gonna space out, I put it on auto pilot!

Ever wonder who's flying your plane?

[quote author="cjenrick"]Any pilots on board here?
I got a friend who fly's for United.
Viet Nam chopper pilot...[/quote]A friend of mine flies for United too. An ex-marine pilot. United must like Vets. I don't think he has blank spells, though.

OK the best time to go to get a cheap rate would be between middle August to middle October. I know this because my better half is a national sales director for Cheeca Lodge :green: . A group is considered ten rooms or more. If we want a symposium room we can do that. Registration sign up sheets for how many people want to go on sunset cruises, fishing, etc. 90 rooms is the limit. I doubt that many are interested. I am going to take the camera tonite when we go to dinner. You guys have to see the sunsets here. How can I post a pic here? Any way the rate for groups is between 139 and 169 a night in low season. There is also a daily resort fee which is normally 39 per room per night, but my wife can get it discounted down to about 15 bucks per night if we book a group. The resort fee includes 9 hole golf course, tennis, sea kayaks and paddle boats, DSL line usage, wireless internet access, valet parking, etc., etc. and is good for up to 2 adults and 2 kids under 16 per room. I figured it's best to get the numbers out there right away before we dream too much. The good thing here is my wife does this day- in and day- out and she would take care of everything we need. And just so you know, she doesn't own stock in the company or get a bonus for this. :thumb:

If this isn't good I'm up for anywhere else. If no one knows about putting together these kinds of gatherings she volunteered to help organize it wherever it ends up if at all.

The problem I face is I couldn't afford a $160 a night room. I would have to split that cost with someone, or several other someones.

It also depends on the time you choose, since I have obligations in August.

Personally, I'm still all for Austin.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]If it can't be in New York (which would be convenient as hell for me, Jrmintz, Soundguy, Technetium, Ytrehalf and others), then I vote for Brazil, the land of girls, sun and fun. Rafael can put us up, right? :grin:[/quote]

Definitly Brazil is the right place for fun and girls.

Just let me know when you are comming and I can put anybody from TT up.

That´s the least I can do for all of you.

well as NYDave stated in an earlier post, NYC would be great for him, a few others & I, but brazil...yeah...that would be great. i'm actually lucky enough to have been there before, & man would i love to go back. even if the flight is expensive, the exchange rate might actually balance it all out.

but we'd want to wait for their summer which is just about over now...maybe we start planning the sceond one now. :grin:

-dave

Still, there's nothing stopping us from putting together some little "local" conventions this summer. Maybe we Northeasterners could all meet up for some brews in the near future...

I just got my plane tickets for NY. Will be there July 17th till 27th. Any day but the 19th would be fine (Girlfriends birthday) .

Gustav

Technetium is already down in Coney Island, and there's no better place to be in the summer than down by the beach, so... :grin:

Hey PRR, if you're reading this, aren't you somewhere in Jersey? You should come too.

HOW ABOUT DETROIT?

You can see Crack Houses, Bums, some Hookers, Garage Rockers, SUV's on 24's. Then you can tour all the Crack Studios*.

*A studio so run down it walks a fine between workable and condemnable.

OK I got it. Its the LAB Summer City Tour 2004! OK, so why don't we throw out some cities where people can easily meet. NY is an obvious choice. I like Chicago and Austin. Maybe you all can brain storm outloud and lets see how we can put this together. Or maybe we could gather around the world on the same day and broadcast to each other. Isn't there a way to do that?

Looks like we'll have to start thinking of a get together this side of the Big Pond. October in Amsterdam ? The AES convention is first weekend in October and it's all about analog signal processing for audio, right up our alley. I'm seriusly planning to be there. Anybody else ?

But a get together in Brazil, yeah, Cana Brava outside Ilheus or Ariau Towers in the Amazon.....that would be great too

C'mon, Miko!
I grew up with Nuge and the MC5!
Not to mention Jamerson and Papasita!
Of course Ted moved to Texas so maybe even he thinks the place stinks.

Detroit City Rock City!

Hey, what about for the convention here in Romania.
It's DRACULA's country. :green: :green: :green:

chrissugar

I vote for London.
Haven't had a good pint in quite some tome. :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam:
Plus, I wanna kick Peter Purpose's arse for telling me to sod off!
cj :grin:

Hey, if we do something in NY we should wait until after the republicans hold their convention. I have the feeling it could get pretty nutty. We don't want to intimidate the NYPD with the Lab convention at the same time.

Latest posts

Back