the multiple variants of the TL074

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog_Fan

While making a basket, i found a rather big number of DIP14 variants
What's the Idea behind the multiple variants of the TL074.

TL074ACN
TL074BCN
TL074B​

their price:
TL074CN = 0.783€
TL074ACNE4 = 1.02€
TL074BCN = 1.18€

7 variants of the DIP14 @ mouser.

on the Website of Texas Instruments they show the same data, but do have their own datasheet.
Download the data sheet for the TL074A
Download the data sheet for the TL074B
But the datasheet is exactly the same.

Would the TL074BCN variant being the most expensive one have some sort beneficial?
while the TL074CN at a price of 0.783€ being cheapest.

What would be theory behind that?
They will be the same silicon die or?

Read the data sheets... Generally the TL074ACN will be the better part (lower DC offset voltage etc.)

Sometines they show a military spec temperature range part in a ceramic package that is more expensive but not better audio performance.

Read the data sheets, compare and contrast.

JR

the TL07xH variants seam to be best, page17, the has the lowest "Input offset voltage" of 1mV.
the next best is the B version with 2 mV, also the most expensive DPI version.
the A version has input offset voltage of 3mV.

normally i bought them from a "local" electronics shop, but he went to enjoy his pension a month ago.
after a quick revise i got the CN version from ST.
Never toke that in account, the offset voltage, accept for the BA662, BA6110, LM13700 where there often a trimmer/resistor assembly on one of the input pins.

like the first ever transistors produced, they test on the production, where it gets sorted in classes, apprently.

Thank you for the reminder.

The TL074H is a completely different animal.

It is an improvement of the over the 45 year-old design and does not polarity reverse when clipping or latch-up as a follower.

I doubt that you'll find many in inventory as it is quite new.

The TL074H next generation part looks nominally better with slightly higher rails, slightly higher slew rate... one specification of merit "ein" seems slightly worse. 37nV/rt Hz is noisier than the legacy TL07x parts.

Probably OK for general line level paths, but IMO not improved in all important aspects.

JR

Is the TL074H as forgiving wrt to decoupling as the older variants?
IDK, Wayne suggests that they corrected one of it's worst quirks (input reversing polarity, and latching up).

I've used truckloads of the original parts with no complaint. The "improvements" mostly make me yawn, and I don't love the higher ein.

JR

As mentioned different part numbers can be different electrical performance. Often minor things that may not matter for audio. Another difference can just be packaging, like DIP or SOIC, or how the parts are delivered, bulk, tube, tray, tape, etc

Latest posts

Back