The plugin corner

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone of you guys using pro tools? Just wondering if i should buy the new version 11 with 64 bit support. I'm still not really happy with cubase and reaper. But i heard some things about pro tools regarding latency or delay compensation problems..

I use both Pro Tools and Nuendo. Perhaps you could be more specific about what it is you're not liking with Cubase and maybe I can help?

mattiasNYC said:
I use both Pro Tools and Nuendo. Perhaps you could be more specific about what it is you're not liking with Cubase and maybe I can help?

nothing totally wrong with cubase, but for example i like the grouping function, routing options and the mixer in pro tools and reaper more than in cubase. but reaper is really ugly and i need a reliable sequencer which on the other hand cubase is not always. i am using external hardware effects and a rme audio interface

Well, let me put it like this then: The way I see it Cubendo/ProTools have various strengths and weaknesses they basically trade-off. For me personally the upcoming version of Nuendo 7 will most likely be the superior of the two, for the first time. But so far they've really just been equal but different. So the take-away from that should be that you'll just be trading some annoying things in Cubase for some annoying things in Pro Tools.

I too prefer the grouping function in Pro Tools by far. And I use it a lot in PT. In Nuendo I've had to learn to sort of live without it, but with the upcoming version we'll finally have VCAs and improved groups which will take care of my needs. You should have that in Cubase v8. And so I don't think it's a tremendous difference really (though it depends on your workflow of course).

For routing I don't really see the big difference. The paradigms are slightly different in that the "bus" in PT is essentially a combined "bus" + "aux" in Cubendo, i.e. a "group". And there's the difference of where you decide where a signal goes/comes from. But for the most part I have absolutely no problem with routing in Nuendo, and I do mostly post-production where routing is mission-critical for delivery.

For the mixer I find some things super-annoying in Cubendo, like the hidden buttons that appear when you hoover over them. On the other hand there are a very large amount of stuff to like about it that PT doesn't have, such as the ability to link key commands to visibility layouts and agents. You can "sort of" do it in PT, but not as nicely. The exception is that you have to have the mixer window in focus in Cubendo to make it work, but other than that I really think the Cubendo mixer is superior.

And related to the above two is Control Room. The GUI, again, is garbage. But the functionality is something PT doesn't have at all. If you aren't using it I highly recommend it. The ability to choose what to listen to without breaking the signal flow of the mixer is fantastic and I use it all the time. Also the "listen" function is great.

I suppose my advice would be for you to stick to Cubase (v8) and save your money for something that gives you a bigger return on investment. The reason I'd say PT over Cubase/Reaper would be if you need to exchange PT sessions with other people, or if you simply just like it more. But if you like it more then you don't really need to ask other people about it....

So again I guess, I think perhaps you can ask specific questions about stuff that annoys you with Cubase and perhaps people can help you find solutions for them so you'll be happier with it.

Running PT11HD Native here, it's a nice improvement over V10. Snappier response and the new Metering and upgraded graphics make it a better experience. Haven't had issues with ADC here. I'm able to handle much bigger sessions and the new input buffer being separate from the playback buffer allows me to do last minute punch-in's on mix projects that would be impossible with earlier versions.

Mark

peterc said:
The FabFilter comp, limiter and EQ are really friggin awesome.

I wish all GUIs were as nice to watch as the fab filter eq. I can spend hours just watching...so pretty

mattiasNYC said:
Well, let me put it like this then: The way I see it Cubendo/ProTools have various strengths and weaknesses they basically trade-off. For me personally the upcoming version of Nuendo 7 will most likely be the superior of the two, for the first time. But so far they've really just been equal but different. So the take-away from that should be that you'll just be trading some annoying things in Cubase for some annoying things in Pro Tools.

I too prefer the grouping function in Pro Tools by far. And I use it a lot in PT. In Nuendo I've had to learn to sort of live without it, but with the upcoming version we'll finally have VCAs and improved groups which will take care of my needs. You should have that in Cubase v8. And so I don't think it's a tremendous difference really (though it depends on your workflow of course).

For routing I don't really see the big difference. The paradigms are slightly different in that the "bus" in PT is essentially a combined "bus" + "aux" in Cubendo, i.e. a "group". And there's the difference of where you decide where a signal goes/comes from. But for the most part I have absolutely no problem with routing in Nuendo, and I do mostly post-production where routing is mission-critical for delivery.

For the mixer I find some things super-annoying in Cubendo, like the hidden buttons that appear when you hoover over them. On the other hand there are a very large amount of stuff to like about it that PT doesn't have, such as the ability to link key commands to visibility layouts and agents. You can "sort of" do it in PT, but not as nicely. The exception is that you have to have the mixer window in focus in Cubendo to make it work, but other than that I really think the Cubendo mixer is superior.

And related to the above two is Control Room. The GUI, again, is garbage. But the functionality is something PT doesn't have at all. If you aren't using it I highly recommend it. The ability to choose what to listen to without breaking the signal flow of the mixer is fantastic and I use it all the time. Also the "listen" function is great.

I suppose my advice would be for you to stick to Cubase (v8) and save your money for something that gives you a bigger return on investment. The reason I'd say PT over Cubase/Reaper would be if you need to exchange PT sessions with other people, or if you simply just like it more. But if you like it more then you don't really need to ask other people about it....

So again I guess, I think perhaps you can ask specific questions about stuff that annoys you with Cubase and perhaps people can help you find solutions for them so you'll be happier with it.

Thanks for this brief comment. I saw the new features in cubase. But i am sure that nothing will bring great enhancement except the new window arrangement. I just bought the students version of PT11 and i am pretty proud of it. Best solution IMO for tracking, mixing and mastering. And yes, the Mixer is great! Only Midi functions could be better, like quantising and arranging. Do you use external hardware? Like you said before, every system has got its good and bad sides ;)

waves ssl 4000 collection is USD 180 at plugin alliance - to buy or not to buy? i prefer to go for the slate VMR, i think it offers more than the ssl plugins. but looking at the sound, i think they both do great jobs.
what do you think?

If I could go back in time i wouldn't buy any plug-ins from Waves.
They always look pretty, but functionally, I don't use them in my mixes, and at least to my ears, most of the competition has surpassed their sound quality. But you might hear things differently, which is fine.

I also find, for instance, that The Glue by Cytomic sounds more authentic than the Waves G Series Comp emulation, and many other software EQs are better than the Waves SSL console EQs.

But if you use them, and you like them, then buy them. It's really that simple.

Back