the problem throwing out old computer tech

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

was at a studio the other day and they had an older computer with an older version of pro tools, version 7.  Their computer had a hard drive fail, it is best described as it was coughing up blood.  It started with Neo assertion errors, then playback errors. then finally the drive disappeared from the desktop.  Now here is a system that was best used when firewire 400 was king and newer tech and protocols were not in place on Mac computers, yet.  Lucky me, I happen to keep a box or two of older computer cables, connections, work drives, etc.  it took some 24 hours to recover any and all data but we were able to do it.  I also was able to roll them into a firewire drive to keep the sessions going..

Not bad I say, too bad the studio was not prepared for such a failure of a work drive. 
Been lucky over the years that I have found old tech at moments notice to fix system problems. my fave was when I scoured all of Southern California to find a 286 computer to rebuild a flying faders system for a Neve VR.  When we found one and picked it up for 50 dollars,  the guy gave us 3 more for free, just because he needed them gone. 

I have a customer that has a Siemens Windows 2000 PC running the HVAC system. It's been on ever since it came into service. Never failed, never updated. I only noticed it when someone connected it to the network...

I can't touch it because the company who supplied it no longer exists. It's not a small company. Some 175 people in administration, several hundred in production at that site.

I know, if it's not broken do not fix it.

To me it is just baffling that a place can run old tech and not have any of the necessary support equipment for that tech.  by computer standards for recording it's useable but pretty old.  I make it a point to never toss out any old computer cables or whatever, you never know when you may need them.

...and when you do throw away the cable...its the surefire way to guarantee you will need it the next day for an emergency.  ;D

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/09/how_many_floppies_do_i_need_for_16_million_image_files

pucho812 said:
I know, if it's not broken do not fix it.

To me it is just baffling that a place can run old tech and not have any of the necessary support equipment for that tech.  by computer standards for recording it's useable but pretty old.  I make it a point to never toss out any old computer cables or whatever, you never know when you may need them.

I used to work for a company that fabricated water filtering systems. Reverse osmosis and stuff like that. Nearly all of the drawings and schematics they had, were printed on thermal paper. The dossiers were stored in direct sunlight. Troubleshooting an installation was a real joy...

We had an installation delivering water for operating rooms in a hospital. A double setup. When system 1 required service, the second one took over. All they had to do, was call. They always called when the second system went down too, which took over six months.

You'd think six months would be ample time to make that call?

Oh, you should see the pile of cables here. Serial mice, SCSI, Local talk, RGB video...

https://www.theregister.co.uk

bookmarked. Thanks PRR!

Edit:  this old farmer in the dell tries to repurpose before throwing out.  Ima make a raid10 VM NVR out of one of these...

Rhw6odN.jpg

Latest posts

Back