This is an op amp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
This is listed as an op amp in the DBX patent sheet for the 2001 VCA. The stuff in the box, that is. I see a current source and an amp, I'm cool with that. But op amp? The wire leaving on the right is the output. Feedback wire coming up to input.

Anybody xplain to a dim wit?
Sorry for the low res, but at least you don't have to click on it.

J201, top and bottom.
Thanks!

dbx_opamp.jpg

Well, it's an amplifier with inverting gain anyway, which could be used with feedback from output to input. So, no differential input per se, although the lower source can be considered a non-inverting input that is tied to ground.

A lot of the early analog computing amplifiers had only inverting inputs, and that's where op amps originated, so I guess they wre within their rights to describe that section as such, albeit a little perverse considering the date of the application.

[quote author="bcarso"] A lot of the early analog computing amplifiers had only inverting inputs, and that's where op amps originated, so I guess they wre within their rights to describe that section as such, albeit a little perverse considering the date of the application.[/quote]

Half of the art of writing patents is obscuring the actual information beyond recognition..

Jakob E.

But op amp?
Sometimes even a single BJT is considered/said to perform an opamp-like function (ignoring the Vbe-shift).
Like: AC-signals equal on B & E, and if not, then drive results, making them the same again.
You'll need additional circuitry of course for that last bit, but OK, the idea is valid.

[quote author="clintrubber"]
But op amp?
Sometimes even a single BJT is considered/said to perform an opamp-like function (ignoring the Vbe-shift).
Like: AC-signals equal on B & E, and if not, then drive results, making them the same again.
You'll need additional circuitry of course for that last bit, but OK, the idea is valid.[/quote]

Yes. Also, the application might need an "opamp with current output". Then the common source amp, working into a constant current load (the upper FET), makes sense.
Does this output, by any chance, go to some emitters of BJTs in a variable gain cell?

JH.

Sometimes even a single BJT is considered/said to perform an opamp-like function
And of course the same holds for FETs, triodes etc etc.

Hey, as long as you put the right circuitry around it and with a little determination I figure we could even consider a TX as an opamp ! :wink:

[quote author="clintrubber"]
Hey, as long as you put the right circuitry around it and with a little determination I figure we could even consider a TX as an opamp ! :wink:[/quote]

Messers Horowitz and Hill are pretty clear when they say that a transformer does not qualify as an op amp because there's no power amplification.

You're fully right of course, I wanted to add all kinds of stuff about a TX being & remaining a passive thing so it can't really be etc etc...
...but I didn't ! :wink:

Back