This reminded me of the essence of making music

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikb1971

This picture might not look like something special, but the moment reminded me of why music can be so incredible beautiful:
2mg01h.jpg

This is what happened:
This weekend I had a Syrian refugee family to stay in my house. I do this sometimes so they can get away from the big refugee camp, so they can have a quite family weekend. The father of the family turned out to be a professional music player in Syria. Unfortunately, after the government, the rebels, ISIS and the Russians destroyed his town, he was out of work, and fled to Europe. He told me he had not played for 3 years and he really missed it. I borrowed an Ipad with some music apps (module and iM1) on it and a 2,5 octave mini keys midi keyboard and he was playing all weekend, being really, really happy. Sometimes his daughters would join in singing traditional Syrian songs. they did not sing particularly good, but it was a truly magical moment.

Me and my friends are trying to help him make some more music. We put some money together and bought a small second had laptop, and somebody donated a pair of headphones. Inmusic donated a b-stock keystation 49 midi keyboard. I am in contact with focusrite and hope that they can help me with a soundcard.  I am also trying to get Korg and Pianoteq to help us with some music software. I have contacted Behringer for a small pair of powered speakers, so more people in the refugee camp can enjoy him.

With us here focussing so much on gear (without that being a bad thing), it is nice to be reminded of how powerful, comforting, binding and straight on beautiful music can be sometimes. 
I was really touched by this. And being touched is good. If you are as well, maybe you can do something locally for refugees, or your local community centre. You could of course contact me to support me and my friends helping Abdessalam.
But most importantly, don't forget to enjoy music; with your friends, your family or just by yourself!

Matt Nolan said:
Once again, I am reminded what a great country the Netherlands is. Bravo good sir, bravo!
I am afraid Holland is not what it used to be.. but I am trying... and your words of support are appreciated!

erikb1971 said:
Matt Nolan said:
Once again, I am reminded what a great country the Netherlands is. Bravo good sir, bravo!
I am afraid Holland is not what it used to be.. but I am trying... and your words of support are appreciated!
Britain is not what it used to be either. Better in some respects, but worse in a lot more.

peterc said:
Well done Erik, very inspiring.

A little can make such a difference in somebody else's life

So true... I got inspired to do this by someone else who was taking refugees in her house, and what I do inspires other people to do stuff as well... so it is generating a lot of positive energy and love... and that is what we need! Gear and love!

*** update ***

focusrite just emailed to tell us that they will donate a scarlet usb audio interface!
Hurray for M-Audio and Focusrite

***update***
Audio Technica delivered a package tonight: Thank you importer Iemke Roos Audio Amsterdam for the ATM510!
1zejiwk.jpg

Just the powered speakers still to go. A few companies turned us down on that, but we are still working on it! Any one has a pair laying around? ;-) Or a friend working at Genelec / KRK / JBL / Pioneer / whatever?

And Today Focusrite delivered a brand new Scarlet 2i2! Thank you Focusrite!
4hab2h.jpg

Still looking for speakers... anyone?

This is what we did it all for:
z6ft4.jpg

This man was last Friday the happiest man on earth... He could not believe what was happening. It took him hours to pose without tears...
And just five minutes ago I got a message from a member on Gearslutz(!) that he will make a generous donation so we can buy a pair of Tannoy reveal 402 speakers.
Thank you for your encouragements and donations! 

Back