thought is was a joke, but I want to go to Fucking, Austria

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]Climax is in North Carolina.[/quote]
[quote author="AnalogPackrat"]There are some strange place names in South Carolina:
[snip happens]
Climax[/quote]

...Make up your mind, boy!!!

:green:

Keef

Yeah, I was surprised to find it on a map, too. Looks like a tiny neighborhood on the south side of Lake Murray. Never knew it existed even though it is within 20 miles of where I grew up. Not really a "town" per se. SC also has a tiny Salem and an even tinier Salem Crossroads. We even have a Leeds, but I doubt The Who ever played there...

I think Salem is a lot like Greenville. Nearly every state has one!

And who are you callin' boy, son?

I've been to Intercourse, PA, and was sorry.

It's swamped by tourists, all of whom buy postcards with INTERCOURSE on them, and all of whom want to get them postmarked "Intercourse". They have a special window at the post office for postmark-hungry tourists.

It's actually a lovely little town, Pennsylvania Dutch, filled with nice people who are sick to death of people snickering at their name. Also, like many Amish, sick to death of people from outside treating them like exhibits in a museum, which in effect they have become.

Since I was one of those people...I went away feeling like a real asshole.

Peace,
Paul

My family is Penn/dutch on my moms side. We are no more like the amish than any other group! It is funny to see people react. Wow your close to being Amish. Close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades!

Of course we still use words like- you only thretched your room, now rud it up!

[quote author="W DeMarco"]My family is Penn/dutch on my moms side. We are no more like the amish than any other group![/quote]

I know. I phrased that sentence badly; what I meant to say was that the Pennsylvania Dutch are in the same boat as the Amish: treated like museum pieces in their own communities, but dependent on the museum-goers for commerce. There are Amish communities in Missouri where I've seen the same thing.

Peace,
Paul

i know the place called "Fucking". its in the same province where i grow up.
this city-sign is the most stolen sign :)

yes, and another city in upper-austria called "Rottenegg"

Back