Thread etiquette: Is a thankyou appropriate or just redundant?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Jinn

I always try to add a thank you at the end, but now I wonder if this equates to a "new" post, and invites another look at a thread with no new conversation.

For any recent responses to my many questions, until this one's answered, I am thankful.

I dunno, I think manners are nice and this place has a good vibe because of it.  Also I'll often see a thread I may have missed just because an O.P. posts and thank you and realize I have something to contribute.

If a post deserves a 'thank you', then isn't that the same thing as 'liking'? Therefore, you can just click the 'like' button and the poster won't be offended. Right?

I think thanking is nice. It demonstrates support and encouragement for the person who's being thanked.

I think what has been a bit irritating in the past is endless "one for me", "two for me" messages on group buy threads, followed up by "paid!" and then shortly after "received!". This doesn't seem to be quite so much of a problem on this forum these days as it has been in the past.

I've found the thank yous that matter (besides plain politeness) are the ones that come years later. Someone discovered an ancient post that helped them a great deal. Other than that i'm fine with an entirely thankless existance. But then i'm finnish and our lanquage doesn't have an equivalent of "please" or even a concept of such.

I can only answer for myself, but it´s real simple, if someone helps me or tries, I say thanks to this person.

While on the www, you have to be prepared for EVERYTHING, I like this place because it has a very civilized touch (even the dirty jokes)...

The important thing is probably to report back if the suggested solution (where appropriate) did work for the posed problem. This is quite important for future readers.

Thanks are rarely annoying, and easy to skim over when thread-reading.

Jakob E.

As Jakob said:
A thanks is always welcome but if the person also writes if it did help or why it did help many "thanks" could follow.

I think I had suggested it be a thank you button not a like button [ like facebook ] but
as mentioned above, one could consider adding / updating new or current info to a thread
while saying thank you [ and then we'd know why ! ]

rob_gould said:
I think thanking is nice. It demonstrates support and encouragement for the person who's being thanked.

I think what has been a bit irritating in the past is endless "one for me", "two for me" messages on group buy threads, followed up by "paid!" and then shortly after "received!". This doesn't seem to be quite so much of a problem on this forum these days as it has been in the past.

I dunno, I always try to post when I receive an item I bought from someone here because I figured it shows the entire forum that the seller is honest and actually ships the items they are selling. More relevant in Black Market threads obviously.

and I see nothing wrong with thank you's either

I totally agree with Adeptusmajor.

ruairioflaherty said:
I think manners are nice and this place has a good vibe because of it. 
rob_gould said:

Well said.

gyraf said:
Thanks are rarely annoying, and easy to skim over when thread-reading.

So true !

Latest posts

Back