TL Audio Fatman Fat 1 - L/R signal imbalance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanjo

Hi all,

I have a TL Audio Fatman Fat 1.

I noticed that one of the output channels is producing around 1db less output than the other. I have consulted the devices schematic and calibration sheets, but have been unable to rectify this imbalance. The unit sounds and works great, but this imbalance is something I would ideally like to correct.

I have some basic electronic skills, but I am by no means an expert. So if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Fat 1_Caliibration.jpg
    Fat 1_Caliibration.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Fat-1_Schematics.pdf
    596.8 KB · Views: 1
  • fatman_fat_1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
are you certain it's an actual imbalance or just a metering differently?
Hi.

There is definitely an imbalance of level between the two outputs. I checked this several times with separate analogue and digital meters. The difference is around 1dbfs.

Are you suggesting this could be a deliberate design feature? I've tried adjusting every potentiometer inside the unit. and I can't get the L & R output levels to match.

it’s not deliberate.
Try feeding a sine wave into the input and measure the output. The sine wave should be 1k at +4dBu do not use any of the processing(comp, etc) and see the output. Then see where it starts to be off. 1dB is not bad in tracking and mixing, unacceptable in mastering.

it’s not deliberate.
Try feeding a sine wave into the input and measure the output. The sine wave should be 1k at +4dBu do not use any of the processing(comp, etc) and see the output. Then see where it starts to be off. 1dB is not bad in tracking and mixing, unacceptable in mastering.
It turns out the problem was with the monitoring audio interface inputs, not the Fat1.
I've now monitored the Fat1 with another interface and the Fat1 calibration was successful.

Thanks for your replies.

Latest posts

Back